Author Topic: wanted....26" simplex wheels  (Read 4811 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wanted....26" simplex wheels
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:35:23 AM »
These are together rick...nothing fancy

Bruce, I am talking about the hardware that hold the axels together. If I  assemble the axels like a regular bike, I have extra hardware left, and extra space between the dropouts.  I'm looking for the proper order.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:00:47 AM »
Rick , it seems to me that the order of assembly and spacers/ nuts on the brake side ( normally right ) would need to be used on the left as well .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
Rick , it seems to me that the order of assembly and spacers/ nuts on the brake side ( normally right ) would need to be used on the left as well .

Pete, I don't think that is correct, for 2 reasons.

First, if the hardware that was included is correct, there is not enough to do the same on each side.
Second, if I put it like a regular bike, there is not enough room for the drive sheave.

It came with 1 jam nut and 2 full width nuts.  If I put the jam nut on the brake side and stack the 2 full nuts on the other, it seems to work, but I would like some confirmation.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 08:14:50 AM »
I hadn't considered the sheave .  :-[

I checked a couple of my manual sources that are usually fruitful , but came up dry .
Someone must have a Sportsman manual . Did Simplex maybe sell them under another name , like Western Auto ?

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »
is a sportsman with a clip on sheave spaced the same as a bolt on one away from the rim?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
is a sportsman with a clip on sheave spaced the same as a bolt on one away from the rim?

Yes.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »
I hadn't considered the sheave .  :-[

I checked a couple of my manual sources that are usually fruitful , but came up dry .
Someone must have a Sportsman manual . Did Simplex maybe sell them under another name , like Western Auto ?

The last manual printed was the 1960 manual.  Unfortunately, they did not cover this type of hub in it.

I just bought the rest of the parts for this bike from the guy that had it before Dave.  He was supposed to give them to Dave when he found them, but after Dave traded me the bike,  he lost track of the stuff.  I found it listed and got it.  In the box of loose hardware, I found a spacer that I think belongs on the axle!  It is the exact width needed to make up the difference of a standard rear hub vs the sportsman hub!  I put it in and reassembled the wheel like a standard hub and all seems good.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Amazing how easy stuff gets 'lost' .

Good you were able to at least buy it .

So , you'll likely run with the configuration you figured out , at least until proven otherwise ?

Someone with a Sportsman could post a pic of the rear axle , but I'm guessing that not all Sportmans were created equal ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »
Amazing how easy stuff gets 'lost' .

Good you were able to at least buy it .

So , you'll likely run with the configuration you figured out , at least until proven otherwise ?

Someone with a Sportsman could post a pic of the rear axle , but I'm guessing that not all Sportmans were created equal ?

There is a guy on here that has one, but he has not answered my call for HELP!  LOL

There were not many sportsmans made, so who knows how many are left, especially rear footpeg models.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
I'll post if I find anything useful .
In the mean time hopefully some answers will magically appear .