Author Topic: Portland vids  (Read 4310 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Portland vids
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »

I know it says Cushman in the heading!   Forgive me!!  It does give a good look of the show though.  However,  unless I missed it I don't think he ever drives down by Simplex Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9U8ZAe598

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBhJ3vvBmM

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Portland vids
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »
Tom, I agree with you.  He didn't give us Simplex guys any love.  He didn't even drive past Wayne's, were we had some bikes parked.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Yeah!  I mean really....anyone can get a Cushman running.  After all,  there are parts everywhere for those.  Takes backbone to get a Simplex burning gas again!!

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
i dont want to start a something on here, but lets put something out there. last week i got my issue of vintage motorbike club magazine. its my understanding that this club is for motorbikes, scooters etc. NOW, i have never been to portland,but i was looking over the winners of the bike show. almost without question, most were cushmans, with a few whizzers. are there not any other kind put in the show or what. like you said, its easy to restore something from a catalog, versus fabbing,rebuilding and generally taking pile of junk and bring it back to what it was when new. anybody have any input

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
I wanted to put my Simplex in the judging competition but wasn't able to stay long enough.  i guess one has to enter to win!  Maybe next year as it looks like the start and end dates are pushed up a bit.  We should flood the building with our bikes!  Seriously, I would have just liked to show it off some more.  I always figured restoring a bike and giving countless labor hours of love to our machines are an extentsion of who we are when they are done.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
its easy to restore something from a catalog, versus fabbing,rebuilding and generally taking pile of junk and bring it back to what it was when new.

Maybe that is what keeps us apart from 'the crowd' ? That's just fine by me .

I'd much rather 'make something work' .  
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »
I have back issues of the magazine going back to 2004, and there have been Simplex winners in the judging.  As mentioned, you have to enter to win.

My big gripe about the magazine, and the club as well, as they seem to have no other mission in life than to promote the convention.  Very few "how to" articles about fixing up motorbikes.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
I don't remember anyone putting a Simplex in the show.  All of the show bikes were machines that get pushed into and out of a trailer!  I think the rules state they must run, but I didn't see even one get started when I looked at them.  Maybe they do it at one time, and I missed it.

The campground in Portland is dusty in July, and your bikes will get dirty if you ride them, which both Tom and myself can attest to!  But, what fun is a trailer queen?  Build them to ride!!  Plus, just ask Tom, it puts "perma-smile" on your face to blast around with 100 other bikes.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
"Build them to ride!! "

+1 on that ...

Our motor home doesn't have a mantle big enough for the Simplex . ;)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
Hey, who has the exact dates for the next Portend event. Trying to get the plans cooking so I will be able to make it. You know camping, food, bathrooms, and fee's to get in and where to meet up with everybody? ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
Hey, who has the exact dates for the next Portend event. Trying to get the plans cooking so I will be able to make it. You know camping, food, bathrooms, and fee's to get in and where to meet up with everybody? ???

July 20-24.  Those are the official dates, but people are there several days before that.  I have been told if you get there on the first day of the meet, you are 2 days late for the good deals!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
So , it's true ?

The early bird does get the worm ? ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
Technically it was always starting on a Monday with lots of guys getting there way early. I think I read somewhere that if you get there too early this year that there might not be a place to park. Like something is scheduled a few days before it at the grounds. If I have to I will sleep with my Servi under the stars!!  So none the less,  I will be there Friday night and am leaving work early that day.  Driving straight to the Hill! 

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
Ok Guys I need info on Portland. If one is camping is there clean restrooms and are there showers? Whats close by to eat and does anyone go to the banquet? How are the prices on lodging if we don't camp and do you pack your bike up every night?   ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
I'd like to know the answers to those questions , too . :)