Author Topic: REPLACING ENGINE MAIN BEARINGS  (Read 2242 times)

WillH

REPLACING ENGINE MAIN BEARINGS
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »
I know this subject has been discussed several times and I know about heating the case for removal and installation; what I can't figure out is how to get a purchase on the large bearing to drive it out. The small outside bearing lends itself easily to a common driver but the larger inside bearing bore is the same as the housing so that nothing protrudes into the bore.  How is this done? Thanks

Will

pd

• View Profile
Re: REPLACING ENGINE MAIN BEARINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »
Just heat the case to about 400° for twenty minutes and the bearing will fall out . Have the new bearing ready that you've had in the freezer over night . When the old bearing falls out , drop the new bearing in , making sure it is seated and simply let it whole thing cool . No tools needed or should be used .

I used an outside grill for the heating . Worked great .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:28:35 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
Just heat the case to about 400° for twenty minutes and the bearing will fall out . Have the new bearing ready that you've had in the freezer over night . When the old bearing falls out , drop the new bearing in , making sure it is seated and simply let it whole thing cool . No tools needed or should be used .

I used an outside grill for the heating . Worked great .

Like PD says. I have had one that wouldn't just fall out, so I used a small piece of wood as a drift and caught just enough of the bearing edge and it popped right out.
Rick

WillH

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys.

Will

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I wondered the same thing, and had a bearing puller set up and ready. It was a slide hammer with small teeth that was just opposite of a wheel puller. It caught just enough of the edge to pop it out, but after heating it, it didn't take much.

WillH

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »
I just did the bearing thing. I heated the case on my fish cooker turned very low. About 4 or 5 minutes and just after it started to sizzled spit; as I lifted it off the grill, the big bearing fell out on it own; I sat the case on a couple 2X4's and tapped the small one out. Worked like a charm.  Thanks so much.................

Will

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Remember to heat the case before you install the new bearings!!  If you just pound them in, the case will crack!
Rick