Author Topic: Frame  (Read 4485 times)

Tom 49

• View Profile
    • Email
Frame
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:16 AM »
Is my frame 'factory', the motor mount area measurements don't seem to match any others I have seen on here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:58:37 PM by RickS »

pd

• View Profile
Re: Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »
4 inches seems about right , but I don't have my bike here to measure for confirmation .

And , I'm not sure the factory used exactly the same mount plate through the years .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
That looks like a factory plate to me.  The base of the Simplex motor isn't very big.
Mike Sal

Tom 49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
E-mailed some pics to Wayne after I got my engine mount from him. He said he has never seen one like this. You can see from the pic that his mount is much too long for my bike. The cut-outs on the back of the mount should fit the frame vertical bars.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:48:41 PM by RickS »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »
And , your frame seems to be considerably narrower than what the new mount plate was made for .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
yours looks way smaller.  Here's a pic of my 48 with plate mounted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:50:44 PM by RickS »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
OK, I just went and measured the 3 bikes I have.  As shown in your 1st picture, from the front frame to rear upright,  shows approximately 9 1/2";  on all 3 of mine measure 13".  Can you post a picture of the complete frame with a tape measure from the front of the frame to the rear drop outs?  I'd like to know if your frame is shorter, which does not look to be the case.  Your rear vertical bars appear to be right under the seat spring, same as mine.
Rick

Tom 49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
Will take some more pics of the frame and post them soon. I did measure the wheelbase axle to axle and it was 46 inches. The frame has not been cut and or shortened in any way, what ever this thing is it came from the factory the way it is now. I will try to get some info from previous owner. I am working on a new motor mount of my own design and working on mounting a 2 cycle engine, it will be unique.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
" I am working on a new motor mount of my own design and working on mounting a 2 cycle engine, it will be unique. "

Please , be sure to that a bunch of pics along the way and post them for all of us to learn and enjoy .

Pete . :)

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
if someone wants I'll fab up a mount for tipping the HF212 up like it is on my ambassador....more or less centered on the frame....it would work well with a TAV.    We have a few frames here now so when I get to the shop I'll look at it closer.

Tom 49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
One more thing, would one of you guys on here please measure the width and length of your foot pads, I know I have big feet (size 12 ), but these seem smaller. It is like this thing is a youth or child's model. Did they ever build such a thing.  Thanks guys and Merry X-MAS, hope you all get Simplex parts from Santa.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »
One more thing, would one of you guys on here please measure the width and length of your foot pads, I know I have big feet (size 12 ), but these seem smaller. It is like this thing is a youth or child's model. Did they ever build such a thing.  Thanks guys and Merry X-MAS, hope you all get Simplex parts from Santa.

4" x 10".  No youth model as far as I know.

Your wheelbase is spot on.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:52:46 AM by RickS »
Rick