Author Topic: Gas Tank ???  (Read 7015 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: Gas Tank ???
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »
we had pretty good results fillling a tank with simple green and letting it soak...before doing that we took aquarium gravel and put it in with water and sloshed it around to get the big stuff first, then emptied that.  The tank actually looks good now.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
The partition affords a reserve .

I'd continue the electrolysis until no more 'progress' is evident . Both sides should be clean by then .

Pete . :)
Have you used this Method before?I found some other Threads on Rust removal & one says this Method works if the Anode has a direct line of sight with the Rust.I'm now back to thinking the other Side of the Partition isn't gonna be getting cleaned properly.

I have not . I have friends that have .
I'm not so sure the rust has to be in sight line . It's a reaction spurred by electricity . Like a stream of water , the path of least resistance should be followed .

Even if it doesn't get all the rust , you could use something like Oxalic acid ( Wood Bleach ) to take the rest and give the steel a protective coating .

Here's a thread on Oxilac Acid : http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=501.msg3226#msg3226

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:46:25 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
Thanks...I did scan over that.I'll have to give it a closer look.Did you have to nuetrilize after the Bleach?
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »
No neutralizing needed . Just a water rinse . It leaves a thin coating that seems to prevent the immediate flash rusting that other methods have trouble with .

Here are a few other things I've treated :

Before :

After :

You can see where I wiped some of the protective coating off the black plate in the last pic .

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:58:16 AM by pd »

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
ok guys, heres the proper way to do a gas tank. I know most will say they don't want to do it , but here goes. first grind along the seam lightly till the two halves come apart(yes they are 2 pieces). now you can blast the inside, hammer and dolly the dents out and repair the holes etc. now tig weld it all back together again.then use a motorcycle  gas sealer and itll be good for another 70years. plus now without any bondo, they can be powder coated. pix to come later
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:14:27 AM by bjm »

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
pix

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
pix

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
I have to say , I like the part about dent removal .

But , like you say , most won't want to use up that amount of patience . ;)

And , I think that partition plate is upside down from how it sits in the tank .

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
The partition affords a reserve .

I'd continue the electrolysis until no more 'progress' is evident . Both sides should be clean by then .

Have you used this Method before?I found some other Threads on Rust removal & one says this Method works if the Anode has a direct line of sight with the Rust.I'm now back to thinking the other Side of the Partition isn't gonna be getting cleaned properly.

I have not . I have friends that have .
I'm not so sure the rust has to be in sight line . It's a reaction spurred by electricity . Like a stream of water , the path of least resistance should be followed .

Even if it doesn't get all the rust , you could use something like Oxalic acid ( Wood Bleach ) to take the rest and give the steel a protective coating .

Here's a thread on Oxilac Acid : http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=501.msg3226#msg3226

Now this is why Discussion is good.That makes Sense.

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »
the plate was upside down because I didn't take the pix 30min ago. lol

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
ok guys, heres the proper way to do a gas tank. I know most will say they don't want to do it , but here goes. first grind along the seam lightly till the two halves come apart(yes they are 2 pieces). now you can blast the inside, hammer and dolly the dents out and repair the holes etc. now tig weld it all back together again.then use a motorcycle  gas sealer and itll be good for another 70years. plus now without any bondo, they can be powder coated. pix to come later
This is what I keep coming back to.Cutting the Tank will leave no doubt where or not all the Rust is blasted off.Are the Tanks Brazed together?How much Lip is left after it separates?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
the plate was upside down because I didn't take the pix 30min ago. lol

I just wanted to eliminate any possible 'mistake' that might follow . ;)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
you don't need to grind much off before they will separate. TAKE YOUR TIME, ITS NOT A RACE TO GET DONE BY LUNCH. I tig them, mig will work, just know how to weld

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
Cool...I plan to Tig as well.I'm going to run the Electrolysis till what I can see is clean.Then cut the Tank to know whether it is truely clean, & blast as needed.Any recomendations on Sealers?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
"Any recomendations on Sealers?"

This is the best stuff I've come across :

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html?gclid=CPnive3P07wCFRJo7AodI0QAXw