Author Topic: FUEL TANK CAPS  (Read 2269 times)

WillH

FUEL TANK CAPS
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
A question about the Napa type double fuel tank caps; seems the right cap should be vented and the left non-vented. At least that's the way it's been on all the Harleys I have owned. This seems to prevent the left cap leaking fuel when the tank is full and the bike is on the kick stand. Does that make sense?

Will

pd

• View Profile
Re: FUEL TANK CAPS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
That makes sense , for a Harley . But , when will you ever have the tank filled to the brim of the fill neck on your Simplex ?
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Don't you have to lay the Bike on its side to let the Fuel bleed over the Partition?I think it would make sense not to have a vented Cap on the Left (at least my Fuel outlet is on the left).
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
Don't you have to lay the Bike on its side to let the Fuel bleed over the Partition?I think it would make sense not to have a vented Cap on the Left (at least my Fuel outlet is on the left).

Most of the gas transfers over without tipping the bike.  The reserve is about 1 quart, as close as I can tell.  I have ran it dry and it did not leak out when I tipped it to get the gas out of reserve.
Rick

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
sometimes we  all try and reinvent the wheel. the name says it all guys  SIMPLEX    paul treen had it right the first time around

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=928.0;attach=5099;image...I was goin by the Pic which only has Holes on the Top of the Partition.I assumed the only way to transfer was to lay the Bike over.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=928.0;attach=5099;image...I was goin by the Pic which only has Holes on the Top of the Partition.I assumed the only way to transfer was to lay the Bike over.

The holes at the back of the tank are only an inch off the bottom.  Remember, the tank tapers down at the rear.
Rick

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
I just cut my Tank in half Today.There are 6 Holes total.2very small ones that are 3 3/8" & 4" off the Bottom,4 larger Holes starting at roughly 4 3/8" off the Bottom.Were there different Partitions for different Years?This seem like a Part that wouldn't change,as all the Tanks I've seen so far look alike.Disregarding the fact some have 2 Caps.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:08:18 PM by Jeff L »