Author Topic: Drive Belts  (Read 7557 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Drive Belts
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
I have replaced one movable pulley half in the past.  The inside diameter of the pulley was worn out and would not slide back and forth smoothly.  It would get cocked and hang up.  Wayne provided a new, reproduction one, and problem solved.

I probably could have found a bronze bushing for it, but I took the easy way out.
Rick

David Stinson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
I rode the bike again today and the pulley is definitely working but the bike just won't pull up a hill unless you already have some speed up.  If it slows down and allows the belt to get back against the bottom it loses all forward motion.

I was discussing the problem with my son and he suggested shimming the movable part of the pulley over to a closer starting point.  I think it would be relatively easy to place shims or washers behind the brackets that the counterweights set in.  That way the position could be fine tuned to get the belt just up off the bottom without having to heat up the fixed pulley.

I will try that approach first before attempting to move the fixed one.
David

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »
I rode the bike again today and the pulley is definitely working but the bike just won't pull up a hill unless you already have some speed up.  If it slows down and allows the belt to get back against the bottom it loses all forward motion.

I was discussing the problem with my son and he suggested shimming the movable part of the pulley over to a closer starting point.  I think it would be relatively easy to place shims or washers behind the brackets that the counterweights set in.  That way the position could be fine tuned to get the belt just up off the bottom without having to heat up the fixed pulley.

I will try that approach first before attempting to move the fixed one.

Moving the fixed pulley is really easy.  Heat it with a propane torch  and it will move freely.

How steep is the hill? A Simplex only has about 4 horsepower and will not pull much of a hill.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
They dont like hills even with the honda motors om them. The hill to Stafford's house is really steep going and I was almost to the point of Flintstoning it to make it over. I may have to go east before heading back west to the hill to get as much speed as possible.  :o