Author Topic: HI GUYS!!!  (Read 2791 times)

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
HI GUYS!!!
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
My name is Javier, Im from Miami FL. Recently fell in love with the simplex serv-icycle(Love at first site).
I am currently restoring a 1948 Hawthorne Whizzer. Doing a google search when i was looking for a few parts
i saw a picture of a simplex and i was hooked. So i went on the hunt for one to restore so when i finish
my whizzer i have another project. Went on ebay and found a 1949 Servi-cycle and won and now i am currently
waiting for it to arrive. Searching my local craigslist i couldn't believe to find another servi-cycle just yesterday!!!
So I Went today and bought it, Can anyone tell me any good places to get parts and also how can i determine
the year of the one attached? its the one i just picked up.
Thanks for any help and cant wait to start working on i will continue to post as i work on it!!

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HI GUYS!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
This is the one i got on ebay

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
Hi Javier!  I would peg the first bike as a 1945, judging by the early engine number.  It looks like a great find, possibly from the Wollard collection that was sold at auction several months ago.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
The serial number on your partial bike's motor indicates late world war 2 era to me.  Definitely pre-'47. 
Welcome to the group.  If you cruise thru the different sections, you'll find just about anything you need to know about restoration.  If you can't find it, just post a question in the appropriate section & someone will pipe in with the trick or tip to get you going.  We've got a great bunch of guys here!

post up a pic of that whizzer when your done with it.  Other than seeing them at Portland, I've never been around them.....for a long time I thought the motors on them were two stroke.....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Welcome Javier . :)

Looks like you'll have plenty to do for a while . ;)

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:30:48 AM »
Thanks for you help, I will be going around the pages looking and posting.
Will be posting a few pics of my whizzer and of the servicycles and work gets
Done to them. Got a lot of work, but I think it will be all worth it at the end!!
Thanks Again!

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
Where on the frame can I find the other serial number?
Would like to know if possible to know if the year of the frame matches the engine.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:13 AM »
Would like to know if possible to know if the year of the frame matches the engine.

No frame numbers on Simplex until 1950 or so.
Rick

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 03:11:08 AM »
Thanks!

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »

So if I want to try to get it registered and apply for a title the engine number will be considered the VIN?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »

So if I want to try to get it registered and apply for a title the engine number will be considered the VIN?

Yes
Rick

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »
Anyone know how Florida works in getting a title for this?

Rich

• 1946 simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
Hello Javier my name is rich and live in ft Lauderdale and am restoring a H model, about 3 months ago I tried to buy the bike you got but couldn't get Michael to come down and I was on  a budget . weak later found mine in kendall.  It is my first simplex are stories are similar I was looking for a old Harley and saw my first simplex and had to get one , so good luck   Rich
Rich

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
Hello Javier my name is rich and live in ft Lauderdale and am restoring a H model, about 3 months ago I tried to buy the bike you got but couldn't get Michael to come down and I was on  a budget . weak later found mine in kendall.  It is my first simplex are stories are similar I was looking for a old Harley and saw my first simplex and had to get one , so good luck   Rich

Simplexes are CHEAP compared to old Harleys!
Rick

Omega1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »

Thats cool man, yeah he was tough he didnt come down for me either but I didnt want it to end up a lawn decoration, I felt I needed to rescue it.
We need to go for a cruise one day they are ready to ride.
Good luck on yours!!