Author Topic: handle bars  (Read 1895 times)

sauley

• View Profile
    • Email
handle bars
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
HEY Guys, Can anyone out there tell me what year Simplex change from the bicycle type handlebar to the 4 bolt to a anchor plate hookup.........I thought i had a 48 but a seen a picture of a 48 and it had the bicycle type hookup......

hardhead

• View Profile
Re: handle bars
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »
I was wondering the same thing, my 54 came with bicycle type bars. Would this be right. Tom

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
I suppose any Simplex could be fit with a bicycle handlebar stem and bars .

Just that the fork stem and upper legs should be connected with some sort of plate .

As to which year Simplex made the switch , exactly , I'm not sure . I think '49 .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »
PD is correct.  The flat plate was first used on the 1949 Model K.  This was used until the end of servi-cycle production in 1960.  Interestingly enough, the Simplex Scooter that was built from 1957-1959 used a bicycle style gooseneck.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
"Interestingly enough, the Simplex Scooter that was built from 1957-1959 used a bicycle style gooseneck."

They probably had a bunch of parts left from the pre '49 bikes . ;)

Pete . :)

sauley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
HEY Guys, Can anyone out there tell me what year Simplex change from the bicycle type handlebar to the 4 bolt to a anchor plate hookup.........I thought i had a 48 but a seen a picture of a 48 and it had the bicycle type hookup..................Thanks Guys........I now have a 49 instead of a 48.........lol

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
Post some pictures of the bike!  Give us the engine number and we can narrow down the year.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 05:48:27 AM »
Also, prior to '55, the mounting plate had curved sides.  Either at the beginning of the year, or a running change, they went to a straight sided plate.  I think the tool broke & it was cheaper to repair it by eliminating the curves (on some plates you can still see an impression of where the curved edge used to be).
Mike Sal

sauley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:33 AM »
The bike is all apart...with no engine and no serial number on the frame........i will post a pic in a few months when the bike is complete

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »
The bike is all apart...with no engine and no serial number on the frame........i will post a pic in a few months when the bike is complete

Why not post a build thread . We really do like to watch , learn and help along the way . And besides , we love the pics . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

Why not post a build thread . We really do like to watch , learn and help along the way . And besides , we love the pics . ;)

Agreed!  I have done 2 builds that I took the time to document here to help others, and I will be doing another on the Sportsman soon!
Rick