Author Topic: what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace  (Read 1977 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace
« on: November 06, 2021, 05:14:30 PM »
Good evening,
I am wondering what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace part the goes down the side of the cylinder.  Does a cover go over that and the spark plug wires are contained in it.
I know the bigger holes at the top of the brace are for the spark plug wires and switch.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 03:40:16 PM »
Those are for the throttle cable, choke cable and compression release cable.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 03:43:35 PM by kartjockey »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
Good evening,
Thank you for the reply.  I have never been able to receive email notifications of responses to posts for some reason so I have to check back.
I was checking back in because I found that today in the 1946 parts book page that was uploaded on this forum.
I have not been able to find a picture showing how the outer part of the cable is held in place since the holes are just for the wire part, but would like one.
Thank you,
Scooter
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:21:03 PM by Scooter4 »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 02:31:38 PM »
Does your bracket look like this?  The cable comes in from the front side of the bracket.  The cable housing will fit through the first hole but not the second because it is a tiny hole that only the cable will pass through.   That being said I have wondered how the compression release cable is routed on your bike since the valve is mounted on the front of your cylinder.

Send some pictures.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
Scooter,  It doesn't show in the member list that you have added an email to the site.   

But if you have click 'my messages'
Hover over 'preferences'  then click 'account settings'
In the middle of the page it will say 'Notify by email'     change setting to 'always'

This will send an email for anyone who PMs you but not for new posts.

Maybe this will help.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »
Well phooey,
It does look like that. I never noticed the different sized holes.  I get it now.  I was hoping you knew how the compression release hooked up.  I cant find pictures.  I have seen how the iron cylinders are hooked up, but are not the same.

Regarding the email notice. I think I caused some confusion.  I am referring to when a person posts a reply to my thread and I do not get a notification.  I have the settings checked to receive those and my email is in that section, but that has never worked.
I have the section for email notification of PM set up like you mention.  I am thinking that was working.

I do not have my email made public in the members list because I am a member of a couple of other forums of different stuff I am more knowledgeable on the topic and I am able to help others, but I had my email visible and there were a few that I think just wanted to visit so using private messages gives me a chance to filter first.  When I am comfortable with someone then I dont mind direct contact.

Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
Scooter, if you want to be notified of new posts in a particular topic, you must click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of said topic.  It is 2 places over from the “Reply” button. Try that and let me know if it works for you.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 07:18:07 AM »
Good morning Rick,
I am sorry, but I just found out I wasted your time.  I switched to gmail last year, but I open it through Windows Live.  I just opened it through gmail and found that the responses have been stopped in gmail spam and not visible in Windows Live.
I did not know that was happening. I wish I had thought to check that sooner, but at least I know now.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
No problem Scooter! 
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
   Judging from the Model K  servi-gram it looks like your engine should have one of these side covers.  I have seen them on engines but haven't paid attention to the model engine they were on.

Hard to make out the compression release cable for sure.

This one appears to be NOS.   It even has the part no. tag still on it!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 06:34:56 PM by kartjockey »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 08:50:40 AM »
Good morning,
I will keep checking on the compression release.  The hole in the lever cannot have a control wire go through it, because it is inline with the decompressor pin, so I do not know how it works.  Maybe I am missing some parts. I was thinking I read you just push this one. Refer to attached image.

My engine has a flat cover.  I do not know if it is correct, but it was on the engine when I got it.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »
Good afternoon,
After much searching I believe I have figured out the K decompressor hook up.  I have searched many pictures and videos and never found any bike (including mix match) with the decompressor and connections on the front.

If you look at the image of the K model publication, it looks like the cable goes to the little lever in front of the decompressor and I was trying to figure out how and then noticed it looks like the bracket is at an angle compared to mine being straight (preventing a wire from being used).

I am sure that I straightened the bracket years ago thinking it was unintentionally bent.  I think the wire connects to something attached to one of the threaded screw holes on the decompressor hex.

Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 05:16:31 PM »
So after looking through several of these I noticed that they are all bent more inward so I believe that at some point yours was straightened.  Plus I did happen on to one with a threaded hole and screw in it. 

Mentioned this to Wayne. Pretty confident it was cable operated.

Black release from my '48.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 08:22:58 AM »
Like Scooter suggests , below seems the only logical way to route the control cable .
Assuming a lever being mounted away for manual control .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »
Pete, what you show is a cable pulling on a solid fixed point. How is that going to work?
Rick