Author Topic: what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace  (Read 1978 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: what are the extra little holes for in the engine brace
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »
Good evening,
I saw a cable setup like that for something on a mower years ago.  The wire is held and the conduit moves.  Now all I have to do is figure out what the part that holds the wire looks like.  At least we know it is held on by a screw. 
I keep hoping someone with an original setup spots this question since I cant find pictures.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
Maybe a crimp-able eyelet on the inner cable would work . Once you have it in working order , you couls add solder to make sure the crimp holds .

And , Rick ,

What Scooter saw on that mower years ago is exactly how this will work .
Normally we see the sheath being held and the inner cable movable , but , that^ works , too .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
I still don’t see how this will work, as the cable sheath is held at a fixed point at either the lever or twist control, depending on the year. 

I think it’s far more likely that the cable is held in a bracket and pulls on the compression release lever.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 05:33:45 AM »
Good morning,
I found it hard to believe also.  It only works if the conduit is routed with some curves. If it were completely straight, it would not work.
I unscrewed the throttle out of one of my dirt bikes and held the throttle plunger when twisting the grip to convince myself.  It made sense though because that is why we have to clamp the conduit in applications where the cable pulls something.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 06:07:03 AM »
I still don’t see how this will work, as the cable sheath is held at a fixed point at either the lever or twist control, depending on the year. 

I think it’s far more likely that the cable is held in a bracket and pulls on the compression release lever.

Rick ,

It's the same as if the sheath were clamped at both ends and the inner cable is 'clamped' at one end and the other end left to move , only this is the inner cable is clamped at both ends and the sheath is 'clmaped' at one end with the other end left to move .

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 06:02:37 AM »
Good morning,
attached is an image of what I believe the K model decompressor setup looks like.  I based that on studying the Model L advertisement that is in the Brochures and other Literature section.  If you zoom way in you can see that this is at least a possibility.  The lower cable bracket does not need to be that thick of metal, it is what I had.
It works like this.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
 Looks good to me , Scooter . 8)

Ricks

• Administrator