Author Topic: Early Twist Grip Body Design Question  (Read 1508 times)

WillH

Early Twist Grip Body Design Question
« on: April 02, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
Does anyone know the thinking/purpose behind the step in the milled helical pin groove in the early twist grip body/sleeve. It's pictured on page 29 (Simplex 125 Parts Catalog) lower right. Also picture attached. The one pictured rolls toward the rider to pull the cable; I have one that rolls away from the rider to pull the cable; just opposite of what I would thing was right; what is that about.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:33:19 PM by WillH »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Twist Grip Body Design Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
is your grip on the left side or right side of the handlebar.  I was thinking some of the early stuff had the compression release incorporated into the grip.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »
Will, what year is this bike?  During the war, Simplex built some bikes that had the throttle on the left, and the compression release on the right.  This was to facilitate shooting with your right hand if necessary.

Tom, KartJockey, has a 1948 that the throttle is opposite of the standard rotation.  I wonder if this was normal back then.  If not, can the rotatable tube go on the opposite way to change the rotation?
Rick

Jason Smith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 04:29:59 PM »
I have some bars that are in rough shape that I was going to send out to be dipped that have the twist mechanism on the left.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 04:39:46 PM »
Right side twist is throttle, the left side twist is the compression release.
Rick