Author Topic: Gary Wollard  (Read 6031 times)

Roneuber

• View Profile
Gary Wollard
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:13 AM »
Just wanted to inform everyone that Gary Wollard of Bradenton passed away last week. Gary was a wealth of knowledge on the Simplex and a great guy. He was in the process of rebuilding my machine and we became friends he will be missed.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gary Wollard
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:58 AM »
Very sad to hear.  The couple times I spoke with him he was very helpful.  I understand he had a massive collection of bikes and parts.  Servi-Cycle on Gary!!!

Roneuber, start a thread on your build!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:55:35 AM by RickS »
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »
That is sad news indeed Ron. I had spoken to Gary and he had indicated to me that he would sell me his dies for reproducing the Simplex fender tips. He wanted some time to get to feeling better before we consumated the deal. I am so sad to hear he is gone. There simply is no one to replace the fellows who helped the movement for these antique bikes. God bless and look over Gary.

Roneuber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
Bob,
I am in contact with his son and right now not sure what is going to happen with the collection. I believe he is going to want to sell most of it. Hopefully he will post for all to get involved with. I was there a couple of days before he passed and Mike Mongomery was there also. What ever I hear from his son on what he is going to do with the collection I will be sure to let everyone know.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
Any updates on the collection?
Did Gary ever get his new book published?
Rick

adamwollard

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59:35 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words reference my father and Ron thank you again for your patience and understanding during my father's struggle. Ron is correct, most of the collection (except one or two machines my brother and I will be keeping for ourselves) including complete machines, frames,engines, parts, simplex literature, etc will be available. I am, with the help of Mike Montgomery, still in the process of cataloguing and labeling everything...the collection is vast and not surprisingly it is taking alot of time to go through. Mike has been incredible during this difficult time and I can not thank him enough for his help. If anyone has any questions reference the collection feel free to contact me at adamwollard@hotmail.com, I will do my best to assist you and/or answer any question you have.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
Adam, thanks for getting back to us.  Your Dad was always willing to help with his vast knowledge.  When you are done cataloging everything, maybe you could post a list of available things on this site?

Did your Dad ever publish his 2nd book?  I have an autographed copy of his original book.

Thanks,  Rick
Rick

adamwollard

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
Rick,

My dad had tentative plans to do a second book, i believe it was going to be more of a how-to book, unfortunately he never got to it as his health just wouldnt allow it. As far as posting a list here of whats available from the collection...sure, its just gonna take some time but Mike M and myself are working on it.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
Thanks Adam.  I had heard that the 2nd book was just about to go to the publisher, but I guess that wasn't the case.  Keep us updated as I'm sure there are people here looking for parts and literature.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
I went to Bradenton yesterday & met Adam Wollard & had a look at Gary's shop.  There is a large sign over the doorway to the storage room that says "FORT SIMPLEX".  I'm kicking myself for forgetting my camera.....the following description can't do the place justice.  They have sold the house, but the bike stuff hasn't been moved.

there are 2 trucks, one '39 Glide, & 3 servi-cycles in good original or restored condition.  In the 2 storage rooms there are 37 bikes which have at least one wheel & some amount of parts.  There are at least 9 bare frames (I looked at a couple of frame numbers....04142 & 08781 are there).  All of these other bikes are in "as found in the barn" condition.  There are wheels & other parts scattered everywhere in these rooms.  I even saw a tow bar that would go on the front of a truck.

In the front part of the garage / shop, Gary had a very nice Simplex restoration set up.  A drill/mill & small lathe & gobs of cigar boxes with all kinds of dedicated Simplex reamers & cutting tools.  Lots of shelves full of engine parts.  I counted 18 crankcases & 8 complete motors, numerous cranks & an equal number of cylinders.  Same for magnetos & flywheels.  I saw a 6 inch tall box full of new gas tank decals, a newly re-covered seat still in the box from the upholster's shop.  He had a chasis & gas tank set up on a stand & set up as a test stand for running in re-built engines which was pretty neat.

The family is interested in selling everything except one truck (it has a giant New Orleans Saints football helmet instead of a box) & 2 bikes.  They have also been approached by a couple people about selling the entire lot, but he says they too far apart in price right now (He didn't say & I didn't ask.....as tempting as it is, I have way too many irons in the fire to take on yet another "hobby").  Personally, I think it should go to somebody who is a vendor....there's just so much stuff that the average guy wouldn't need.  The difficult part is they are so far away from most of the "simplex" people who'd be interested.

Again, it was a pleasure to meet Adam & to see Gary's stuff (although it's a little wierd to go thru another guy's stuff....it was the same feeling when I was cleaning out my father-in-law's basement).  I'm just so dissappointed that I forgot the camera.
Mike Sal

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing, I would have loved to have seen pictures.

Vince

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
You are correct.  There is nothing quite like seeing that shop.  I spent several hours in there on three occasions with Gary.  He was "The Master" of Simplex engines.  I do have several pictures - I will post over the weekend for everyone to enjoy.  I always enjoyed my face to face or phone time with him and the rest of the family as well.  Listening to Gary and Norman Burton pro and con any issue was like watching two true scientists challenge each other!!!!!!!! I should have recorded each second of it.  TGIF!!!!!  Mike

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
My Condolences for your loss.
what is locked must be Unlocked !

Freedom Auctions

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
We are pleased to announce that the Wollard collection of Simplex machines, parts and tools will be offered in whole to the general public by way of absolute auction on February 2, 2013.  A complete catalog with photos is in production and will posted to www.freedomauctions.com very soon.  This is a must attend event for any Simplex enthusiast as we will offer over 35 complete or partial motorcycles along with hundreds of chassis, engine and accessory parts along with a collection of books, manuals, magazines, ephemera and advertising.

For details, feel free to contact me at 941 725 2166 or email through freedomauctions.com

This is a multi estate auction also featuring the hot rods from the Tingley collection along with race parts, tools and supplies.