Author Topic: Servi-Cycle Weekend  (Read 1253 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Servi-Cycle Weekend
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
This was sent to me by Mike Montgomery.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
Re: Servi-Cycle Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
Well , I never rec'd an invitation . ;)

Kinda neat that the state thought that much of Simplex .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
This had to be one of the hi water marks for Gary Wollard.  Too bad he wasn't able to turn his event into a successful venture.  He had to have lost a lot of money on the deal. 
Mike Sal

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
What event was that Mike? Did he have something in the works?

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
It was going to be the first of an annual show for Simplex.  According to Hal Lee (Gary's nephew) they wanted to hold the show in a park in New Orleans, but the city wanted a great deal of money for that space.  So, the show was moved to the Hammond Airport (which was a mistake). John and Dave Treen both attended as well as several other members of the Treen family.  Gary talked with the Treen's about helping him get a different site for a repeat show, but that never happened.  I now own the Model L that Dave Treen rode at that event.  A couple of guys came from Maine and Bob Legron came from Ohio.  It was very hot and those two guys from Maine sat in their mini van with the a/c running.  Brian Cullen also came from Australia.  My wife and children attended with me.  Our young son, Heath, was selected to draw the tickets for the prizes and a raffle for a Simplex Automatic.  Heath was riding a P200 Vespa that I had brought, and John Treen remarked that they had always respected the engineering done by Vespa.  I always wished that they had carried out a second show, but Gary's health began to deteriorate, and that was it. However, it will last forever in my mind's eye!!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »
Mike, thanks for sharing.  Those of us who have come along later missed out on some cool stuff.  We were hitting all the Studebaker shows around the country back in '93 & I had completely forgotten about Simplex....

Did Gary ever consider any type of plan for "passing the torch", or did he just assume he'd be around forever?  As history has played out, a lot of cool history & information went to the grave with him.

Rick, we need to post that certificate in the "manuals & such" section so it doesn't get lost.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »

Rick, we need to post that certificate in the "manuals & such" section so it doesn't get lost.
Mike Sal

Will do, good idea Mike!
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
Mike, Several years ago I was visiting Gary and videoed some of his thoughts about Simplex.  I will take a look at that tape and post some of his thoughts.  I do believe that he would be very satisfied with the activities on this website (especially people helping each other with parts and answering questions).  I am traveling this week, so it might be a few days before I review the tape.  If I don't respond in a week or so, please feel free to give me a poke!! Mike