Author Topic: When We go to Portland...  (Read 5462 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
When We go to Portland...
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:13:18 AM »
Thought I would start a thread about things to keep in mind about the show.  First,  look at the Portland pics to get your blood pumpin'!  Discontinue any perpetual 'honey do' lists as soon as possible!  With those out of the way you will be able think clearer!   
If you plan to camp on the grounds contact the club through their website and request a camp pass.  They are cheap. You will want to re-up your do's with them anyway. Having the club membership card will get you into the show everyday for free whether you stay on the grounds or not.  The last time I communicated with Tanya (club website contact) she indicated a bit of a change from the normal show format. Normally people will get to grounds way early. But this year there is something going on that will end July 19 (that Friday night) and she said the club actually takes possession of the grounds Saturday morning. This would be July 20th.  Looks for the current news on the club website.   More to follow in a few minutes.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When We go to Portland...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:43:07 AM »
There are places to stay around the Portland area.  I have stayed at the Super 8. I think it is called the Portland Inn now.  Indiana recently went smoke free in all of their rooms. This is a pleasant stay and has a small continental breakfast (they did last year). Anybody feel free to chime in where you have stayed.  Do a search of Portland, Indiana or maybe Jay county. It is Jay county fairgrounds where the show is held.  Above all,  find a place and book it early as there aren't all that many and they do fill up. Now,  with the accommodations out of the way and you reach your way to the show(and the 'look at thats' and the 'can't believe its' and the 'that is so cools' have quit coming out of your mouth and you have rolled your tongue back in to your mouth find your way to the registration building.  It's green.  This is where bikes are judged and where you register to vote on the bikes.  In the past if you registered  to vote they would give you a small metal plaque with the show year on it along with your ballot. It's kind of an ' I was there thing' for me to have one.  Pretty sure my Servi is going into the judging.

There are two shower buildings with decent hot water.  Lots of guys ride right down to them later at night to shower.  I found an outlet on a telephone pole I plugged into for some power. There isn't any power out in the field as normally that is for parking  but people still camp out there. Up and around the show you may have to be a little lucky to find an outlet close by or that that isn't all used up.  I also brought a small grill along and cooked right by my tent.

One thing I would add to all of this.  Be casual!  The club seems to be. Show your card at the gate and drive right on in and park.  You can feel free to drive right straight through as there is a big field with more parking passed the heart of the show.  I can't wait to meet you all there and take a new 'webrides' photo in front of the sign.   See you on "Simplex Hill"! 

Anyone else with their experiences let's hear them!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
Ok that answered a few questions but there is more. Do y'all go to the banquet, do you pack up your bikes at night if you not camping, and is there places close to eat at? Also where is Simplex hill so I can find it being my first time there?   ???

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:09:50 AM »
Haven't ever been to the banquet as the timing never worked out but like I said the days at the show have changed a bit and I think I will be there for it this time. I think the banquet at is at the close of the show along with the judging (check show dates on club web site).  If you were to go straight in passed the gate you will pass a big round steeple kind of a building.  Keep going straight about two or three intersections and turn right. I think it is the first intersection passed the green building.  Turn right then left. It's is a small dirt one lane. Look at the videos I posted of the show marked Portland vids.  It will give you a good idea of what you will see.  Also,  there are places to eat on the grounds. The kind that the Lions club run.  You know the kind that are permanent when you visit the fair.  Breakfast, coffee, lunch, chicken, whatever.  Pretty much wouldn't have to leave the show if you didn't want to.  There is a WalMart in town.  I think I have a local map of the town I will post soon.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:29:09 AM »
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn. It is pretty nice, only a couple of years old.  There are plenty of places to eat, especially in fast food.

There is also a Rings n Things, or something like that, that I have sat at the bar and had a couple of cold ones after a long day in the hot sun.  Maybe we could have a little get together there one night.

Rick
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
You can leave your bike at my camp if you don't want to pack it up each day.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:14:50 AM »
Well that answers most all of my questions. I hope to stay to the end just to increase the percent of Simplex's in the judging. I would what am I saying I will be asking for a group photo shoot of most if not all Simplex bike there. Looking toward meeting you guys there.   8)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
How many people usually show up for the show? I'm trying to see if it would be possible to bring the kettlekorn bussiness. I just emailed the club, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone seen a kettkekorn vendor there in the past? Sometimes it is hard to get in when a local organization is set up to do the food. We used to do an antique tractor show in Waukee Ia every year, but the local food shack didn't really want us there. I think I could almost talk my wife into going if there was a chance we could take the popper.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
I don't recall seeing a kettlekorn popper there.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
What does it cost to become a member of the vmbc? I'm not able to download the app from their web site. While at the show can you set up to sell parts and is there a set up fee??

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
Call Kaitlyn at 419-605-5336 she can help.   :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Find the shaded region marked  Jay county fairgrounds.   That's where the show is.  So depending on what highway you come in on you will know which way to turn on Votaw St. At first it may appear there are only houses down this road but keep going to the end.  The entrance to the grounds is to the left sort of diagonally.  Map shows other things around the town.  Even shows where Walmart is.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Now you need to post one of the fair grounds and mark where everyone usually camps and where everything is. You know to help out us newbies so we don't camp in the middle of a wizard pack.   :-[

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
"camp in the middle of a wizard pack."

That might be a fatal mistake . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
Yea I hear it's  worse in a cushman pack they will convert you or quite you in a day.  :'(