Author Topic: This forum is priceless  (Read 4987 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
This forum is priceless
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »
I would just like to take a minute to thank everyone on this forum. I can't imagine what it would be like to try and restore one of these bikes without this invaluable wealth of information. You guys are amazing! I would venture to say that there is probably more info on here than Simplex even had when they were building the bikes.

pd

• View Profile
Re: This forum is priceless
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
Together we stand , divided , we cobble 'til something works . ;)

"I would venture to say that there is probably more info on here than Simplex even had when they were building the bikes."

That^ might be a bit of a stretch , but for what there is to work with , I think this bunch does a pretty good job .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
After my dad gave away my simplex when I was 18 (long story) in 1974, I almost forgot all about Simplex until the Lee Hartung big auction in November of 2011.  There was a Simplex in that auction (missing the flywheel cover & a dent in the tank, it brought $2200) & it rekindled my interest in getting another one so I could re-live my childhood.  I found a bike by February 2012 & this site soon afterwards.  It would have been a lot harder to get the bike right without all you guys.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
Bob and I never thought this site would become as big as it has.  When it was first started, we thought that maybe we could attract a dozen or two participants.
Rick

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
I also would like to thank everyone on this site for the info I've received.

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »
I have to agree.I just found this Site looking for info,& from what I see there is a well established knowledge base here....thanks Guys
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
Another example of the talent of some of the ppl on this site. I have been trying to find someone to fabricate some new popcorn scoops similar to our original scoops for our kkettle korn business for over 5 yrs now. Everyone I have talked to locally has either said they can't do it or say they can and I never hear from them again. We even gave a guy one of the originals, and we never saw it again. I sent a couple of pics to kartjockey, and this is what he came up with. I haven't seen them in person yet but they look to be spot on identical to the originals. This style of scoop is what came with the popper when we originally bought it and they have since went out of business and we can no longer buy these.....so once again this site is literally "PRICELESS". Thanks Tom.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:00:13 AM »
Those look great!  There doesn't look like anything Tom can't make out of metal.
Rick

WillH

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Looks like he used a stove pipe tool to do the crimp. Right?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
Yes Will.  Also used a concave board to add a little more curve to the scoop side to side.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
If you ever really want something made just tell a machinist it cant be done.  That being said Rick....I have been contemplating that front brake hub dilemma.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »
If you ever really want something made just tell a machinist it cant be done.  That being said Rick....I have been contemplating that front brake hub dilemma.

Tom, if you want to try this, I can send you both a front drum to use as a template, and a rear drum to try the conversion on!  Just say the word!
Rick

WillH

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
I have been looking at a rear drum with this modification in mind. How is the flange attached to the bearing tube, brazed or should I say sweated. Nothing shows from the outside. Looks like mostly lathe work except slotting the spoke holes and I think one could bend the spokes a little and get them in without the slots. Think I remember someone on the forum doing this. I know the front backing plate is being repoed but looking at the rear backing plate, it looks like an easy conversion on it as well. Just tinkering.

Will

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
I have been looking at a rear drum with this modification in mind. How is the flange attached to the bearing tube, brazed or should I say sweated. Nothing shows from the outside. Looks like mostly lathe work except slotting the spoke holes and I think one could bend the spokes a little and get them in without the slots. Think I remember someone on the forum doing this. I know the front backing plate is being repoed but looking at the rear backing plate, it looks like an easy conversion on it as well. Just tinkering.

Will

I think it would be very hard to bend the spokes enough to get them in without either damaging the spokes or scratching the heck out of the drum. On the rear drum, I don't see any sign of welding, so it must be sweated on.  On the front drum, there are two external welds 180 degrees to each other.

I agree, modding a rear backing plate to work would be pretty easy.  Building one from scratch wouldn't be that hard either.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
A flywheel cover made from scratch for less than $75 is impossible....it just can't be done. ;)