Author Topic: New Simplex on EBay  (Read 14975 times)

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
Re: New Simplex on EBay
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
The auction house says $1500 to $2500 estimated hammer price.  If you want pics, pm me to post or whatever.

The roadster wreck at Pomona last year is on Google...much to their dismay.  After sending a judge to the hospital with major injuries, the car crashed into the windows of the building they were in at the Pomona Fairplex Grand National show.

Btw, putting around the Bo Huff rockabilly show in Riverside, Ca. on my '57 Simplex on Sunday created quite a stir.  I also met Lance, another great forum member who did the same thing I did - show up in a hot rod pickup with a Simplex in back.  His is very nicely restored but not started yet.

1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
Simplex on eBay 121502589466 bid now at $3K
21 hours to go. It's in Texas
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
You didn't read the last line. It's in Tulsa, Oklahoma the seller is in Texas. If it was closer I would be in the bid. :P

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
So would I

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
It sold for $4,349.99

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
So who really would have stepped up and paid $4000.00 for a Simplex?? no offense guys but from what i have read on this forum for the most part only a select few!!! you dictate what these bikes are worth!! I see guys that wont spend $100.00 on a reproduction tire??? too much money!?? really?? C'mon!! or how about my bike dont run right but i won't spend $100.00 on a reproduction carb so i think i will put a $200.00 Jap engine on it??? Oh and don't let me forget this one....I can only go 30-35 mph so i will put that Jap motor on it because why?? Its not a Harley or Indian!!! It is what it is!!!! end of rant!!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 04:56:42 AM »
I am glad to see that there are a few people that will pay good money for a nicely restored bike.  This helps the value for all of us.  Anyone who has ever restored a bike, car, ect, knows that the cost of the restoration many times exceeds the value of the bike.  I probably could have bought the bike in question, tore it apart, and sold the parts on eBay for more than the bike brought whole.  That is a shame!
Rick

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »
relic, I was just talking to another member the other day about how some guys wont buy a repo tire, and putting these stupid looking what ever tires on. that's all I have to say about that.
the prices are what people will pay. this bike of my sons couldn't be bought for less than 8,000 to 10,000. oh I hear ya all saying bull. well first, it was all original and still is after the restoration. every nut and bolt was used that was original. they were all replated,etc. just the chrome being redone was over a thousand. this bike must have been a dealers dispay model. you never see any with all that much chrome. it has REAL repo TIRES, lol   imagine that. by the way, itll NEVER be for sale.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:17:02 AM by bjm »

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 06:48:44 AM »
Hey guys. Most bikes that are even semi complete and partially original projects are in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. We all know what tires, leather, paint and the shiny stuff cost. Making it run $$$$$. But its priceless when it does fire. Even if it only runs for a few seconds then dies. When you do get to ride it, thats priceless. This is all about the love of cool old motorbikes. Lets hear about prices though. A friend and I have been kicking this around. What does everyone think are fair prices for these bikes and parts.  I agree the bikes don't usually go for what the sum of the parts cost. Parts are hard to find and pricey. But we are dealing with rare bikes because they were throw away equipment back in the day. And like most stuff, once it gets to be a certain age, now its collectible. My friend has 2 Sportsman rolling semi complete bikes. No motors of course. If anyone has a motor they would like to sell please let us know. Relic, I bought the 52 so Mike could by the Sportsmans. Sportsmans appear to be as rare as trucks. Not sure how many were made, but you hardly ever see or hear about them. What would these be worth when restored. This has to be all about the love and not the money. But money does seem to have its ruling power. Merry Christmas to everyone.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »
I've been a moderator on another bike forum for more than 7 years and I see the same things happen there . Many parts are NLA from the manufacturer . Original exhaust in decent condition brings more than most of the bikes are bought for .
True in a majority of cases that the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole assembled bike . Some guys have built / made parts that work and a few are better than OEM . Those few bring premium $$ because they are known quality .
I have to laugh a little when a new guy says something like " I just picked up this bike for a cheap project " . A couple grand later , with about that much more for completion , they are into it too deep to call it cheap anymore .
Those guys become ardent 'followers of fashion' , if they don't take the bite of bailing on the 'project' .
There are a very few that can bring a bike back from the edge with little cash outlay because they are creative and a bit driven .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

HGontheHD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
If we all live long enough we might see them bring what they are really worth although as stated above just the thrill of bringing one Simplex back to life "as it once was" is worth the cost to me.
1956 Panhead - $23,000.00
1963 Honda Dream - $2,200.00
1953 Simplex - Priceless

Huston
hgonthehd
Huston
hgonthehd

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
BJM, Real "reproduction tires"???   Isn't that like saying "real" reproduction Shelby Cobra"   LOL  (Which would be closer to the $8-10K appraisal value than a Servicycle in my world) 

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 05:38:21 AM »
if anyone has nos tires that are not dry rotted let me know, geeeeezzzzz :o

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:13 AM »
if anyone has nos tires that are not dry rotted let me know, geeeeezzzzz :o

Exactly

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
You missed my point!!!! its not about reproduction tires!!!! its about spending money on a Simplex!!! Its about passion!! i hear guys complaining about spending a hundred bucks on a tire!!! Quit complaining!!! be thankful someone else spent the money on that project...IE Corky Coker!! you tight wad!!! i hear guys say well i can just buy a bicycle tire for 20 bucks!! or The same guy say... I am not gonna spend a hundred bucks on a carb... WTF????  be thankful this stuff is available!! I have been in the restoration buisiness my entire life!!  when you  restore one of these bikes you add to the value of every one of them!!!...when you cheap out because you dont have the knowledge or the patience and or you dont have a clue! Then you cheap out and convince yourself to put a jap motor or some other lame brain engine and or bicycle parts because you dont have the knowledge or know how to do it right!!  thats what im talking about!! do it right or dont do it at all!!!  Happy holidays!!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!