Author Topic: New Simplex on EBay  (Read 14978 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Simplex on EBay
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 04:05:45 AM »
First off, not everyone has the finances (passion) to just piss away money on a Servicycle project.  Secondly, your saying any Servicycle that isn't restored to "original condition" is just a waste of any time, and/or effort?  How about those people who start out with just a frame, and a few other parts?  It's your opinion they're to put more money into a bike than the sum of all parts are worth without a thought?  Sounds like Rick the scammer from "American restoration" where he convinces some idiot to pay a "professional restorer" to piss away $6000 on a Rupp minibike that could be bought on Craigslist for $500.  Frankly, you should be thankful, instead of insulting to that "person" who decided he'd rather have a Servicycle (albeit not "original motor") that is RELIABLE and sold his parts to Wayne for resale, (or to someone who needed/wants those parts for THEIR restoration)   Looking down your nose on anyone/everyone who, for whatever reason (whether financially, or creatively,) who doesn't restore their bike to YOUR standards ( "do it right, or not at all" original) makes you really come off as a snob, or a "professional restorer" justifying his bill to the customer.  Believe it or not, some people who, according to you, waste their time working on their "non-original bikes" take just as much pride in their bikes/creations as you do, and maybe more, considering they don't just "make some calls and shell out cash" but actually design/fabricate/engineer things to make it work.  There's my .02cents worth.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 05:11:48 AM »
I see both sides to this.  I like original, but many times it is not economically feasible.  Many of these bikes are missing so many parts, that it is not possible to restore all of them.  It has been estimated by some of the old timers that there are 2 bikes for every engine.  Wayne told me for years he wouldn't even consider putting a non-original engine on a Simplex, but changed his mind as the supply of engines has just about dried up.

BTW, don't thank Corky for the Simplex tire.  Corky was approached by three Simplex guys, and agreed to have the tires made if they paid for the mold.  Those 3 were Gary Wollard, Norm Burton, and Wayne Mahaffey.  I believe they paid around $10,000, and that was in the early 1990's!  Coker does not even give a discount to those who paid for the mold, as I understand it.

Mike, have you started on the Truck yet?  Post some pictures of the Servi-Car that you are also restoring.
Rick

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 05:59:06 AM »
boy you can sure tell the weathers bad up north :o

I think I just found the biggest POS pix of a simplex
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:30:05 AM by bjm »

Flathead Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
I have not seen the word FUN used  once! That's what it's about, who cares if it's stock, custom or junk.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
Sure Mike ,

Throw a big ole rock in the stream . LOL ;)

I am forced to work with what I have , which may be more or less than the next guy .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
hey flathead, I found these ol tires laying under my workbench ;D and were havin fun

and a flathead for flathead

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
hey flathead, I found these ol tires laying under my workbench ;D and were havin fun

and a flathead for flathead

Hey Bill, are those Vietnamese NOS?  LOL
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:27 AM »
Well when I started a few years back I only had some parts. Now I have one restored orginal, one almost done non orginal, one planning on orginal, and custom stretch job planned. If you ask me just how much I have spent on any of them during its restoration I couldn't give a exact total. Best of all don't really care. I will let my kids worry about that cause I will never sell any of them while I'm breathing.

Now that pos pictured there I have seen that one before. What's that lever for? Throttle maybe?

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
yes there the NOS nam tires. I have a guy that supplies me from over for 15.00 a piece.  LOL

NOW WERE HAVIN FUN

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Well if you have any extra or any you don't need I sure could use two more tires.  :(

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
What i can say is this. I am in my early 30's and have wanted a Simplex for a few years. Living in Los Angeles, Simplex's are like hens teeth out here. I managed to find my first one out in Adrian, Mi. It had a Kohler engine in it and was a basic daily rider. I drove over 2000 miles to visit family and trucked that bike all the way back here. I didn't feel as attached to the bike due to the fact I didn't build it. An offer was thrown at me that I couldn't refuse, so I let her go. Now, I bought a frame from Missouri and had her shipped all the way out to California. I could have sat around for months, waiting for someone to post a tired, old Simplex motor. Instead, I went to the source, Wayne. Wayne told me that there was a motor that was more durable, faster, cheaper and overall a much better choice.... that was the HF212.

So, to all the nay-sayers... I am roughly half the age of some of the guys on this page. I have come to realize that these bikes are few and far between, especially in my neck of the woods. That being said, I'd rather salvage a rolling chassis and get her back on the road, than to see her waste away in some guys shed. Don't knock me for the choice to use a Jap motor. If I come across a better engine in the future or an original engine at a killer price... i'll probably go that route. Until then, let me enjoy my bike.

thank you for your understanding and have a Merry Christmas.

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
I think were all just havin FUN. I have 2 with Honda engines. maybe we could get china to repo an original engine and sell them for 200.00

socalsimplex

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
i'd definitely go for that!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »
With a few mods would be great. Bigger piston a little more stroke hotter spark and 12 volt lighting system just to name a few.   ;D

Flathead Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 04:01:59 PM »
Hey, bjm looks like a flathead for a boat ,very cool and I'm having lots of fun with this old junk! What kind of heads and manifold are on that boat anchor flathead.