Author Topic: Photos of my bike  (Read 1486 times)

GaryF

• View Profile
Photos of my bike
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Here are some more photos. I am hopeing the engine serial # indicates 1948 as that is my birth year. I don't see a number on the frame.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Photos of my bike
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
Looking great!  What year is that license plate?  I can't read the last digit as the bolt is in the way.
Rick

GaryF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Thanks, 1958 NY plate. The old guy that had this owned it since the early 1950's

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Hold on to that plate.  If you ever get a 58 bike, you can use that plate to register it.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »
Welcome Gary.  Awesome '48 Deluxe. Here I was complaining about not seeing earlier bikes and out pops another!  Check out the '48 deluxe I posted in the photo area under 'portland pics".  It's a 48-1263. I have an early '48 standard.  I wonder if those saddle bags could be original. They look alot like what is in the brochure. Was the seller able to give you any history about your bike?

Tom

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
I've got some serious saddle bag envy going on over the bags on that bike.  Where can a guy find some of these?  Surely somebody is importing some re-pops somewhere.

(had to check in you guys from mom's house....I'm going thru motorbike withdrawl...)
Mike Sal

GaryF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
Thanks Guys, The saddle bags have "US" embossed under the center buckle. They were probably Army bags. I have seen them a few times at auctions. They are in pretty fragile condition. I won't want to use them. I hope to find some better ones someday. Unfortunately the previous owner is in a nursing home. I gleaned what info I got from his neighbor that grew up with him and rode the bikes with him in the 50's. I also got a Servi-Cycle rolling frame, 1948 Whizzer and 1950 Barrel spring Cushman Eagle from his estate. I will be busy for a long time!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
Those saddle bags are a common thing found on simplex bikes. They are W W I calvary saddle bags they can be found on ebay and have even seen some reproductions out there, but there not cheap. I have seen a photo of my Father late 40s early 50s sporting that type on a 40s model simplex. I have wanting a set ever since I started working on my bike just can't marry the cash and bags together at the same time. :)