Author Topic: New Members  (Read 4089 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Members
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
So here's to all the new members to this website! Cheers!  Introduce yourselves, tell us where you live and what you are riding. And post some pictures!!  We'd love to here from you. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Members
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
Tom, there hasn't been many new members recently.   I have been getting about 50-70 bogus member requests everyday though.  Most of these have been coming from Russia.  I never knew they had so many people interested in servi-cycles over there!  LOL!

On another note, I just got back from dropping my daughters off at college and picking up 3 simplex chassis and parts! 
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
Well now we're talking!  Let's hear your story. How'd you get them?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
Not much to tell.  When I was at the AMCA show in Hebron Ct, a gentleman approached me when I was with my simplex, and asked if I was interested in some old, crusty simplex parts.  I asked what he had and where he lived.  He was about 400 miles from me, but near my daughters college.  We exchange info, and a couple days later he emailed me pictures.  We agreed on a price and he had no problem waiting 6 weeks for me to come pick it up.  Here is what I got.  If anyone needs a frame, let me know.

Unfortunately, no engines.  These would be great for a non-simplex engine conversion.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Lot's of new possibilities setting there!!!  I'd like to see you do one of my secret projects......a 2 cylinder opposed engine (like those 19hp briggs engines they used in cub cadet lawnmowers) so you'd wind up with the same configuration the BMW motorcycles have.  A "T" angle drive box could turn the power in the direction of the wheels.

What's up with those brackets around the handlebars on that one frame?

What's the serial number on the 150cc bike?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Mike, I have no idea what those loops were meant to do.  If you look on the frame, the center seat spring bar broke off, and someone made a homemade pivot for it.  A real hack job, if you ask me.  I have no plans for these frames, but the price was right and the tank and fenders are worth what I paid for the whole lot.

The frame number is 16746.  This frame has had the crash bars cut off and some motor mounts welded to the motor plate.  The front end on this bike is excellent, as is the front fender and braces.  The headlight is also complete, with lense and all.

The other two frames are 1946-48.  One has a hacked up front end, but is good otherwise.  This frame even has a good 2" wide wheel.  The other is in good overall condition! With a good front end.  I also got 1 good manual transmission, a seat, and other misc parts.
Rick

ppmurf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on the forum until my membership was activated! Thanks Richard.
I am based out of Australia - and fell for these bikes. I only simplex I've seen here in Australia is in a bike museum.

I hope to purchase one (with some assistance from the forum) and make it my first bike.
So I am on the look out - sure to ask plenty of dumb questions in my quest for knowledge.

If you've got one for sale please drop me an PM or email.

Cheers ppmurf - Australia

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:44 AM »
welcome to the site! I am Tom.   I am curious.  Tell us about the museum you saw the Simplex in.  Maybe you can send pics if you go there again. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
New member alert ... ;)

Hi guys ,

I'm Pete and have owned my Simplex since I was 14 ( I'm 62 , now ) . Bought it for $15 and it ran , then . I use to have a registration for it , but the years have a way of hiding things that are left in the back ground too long . Anyway , it's a 1957 Automatic . The year I'm not positive on as it could be a '58 .
I'll have to check the frame # against what ever knowledge I can pry out of you folks .
It's mostly there except the exhaust and the handle bar controls . I haven't had it running in the last 47 years , but that will hopefully change this Winter .
We spent the Summer in West Michigan ( our original 'home' ) and I decided to take the Simplex South so I'd have something to do over the Winter .

We live in our motor home and host campgrounds for something to do . That makes projects a bit limited depending on the facilities that the campgrounds we host have . Thankfully , our Winter commitment at Payne Lake in Alabama has a heated shop for my pain and pleasure . :)

I've talked with Wayne M over the phone a few years ago and from what I understand , he lives a couple hours North of where we'll spend the Winter . I'd like to travel to his place and meet him , but we'll have to see how things work out .

I'm very glad that this forum is as active as it is . I'm sure I'll find a few things to ask about and comment on .

Good to be here . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Pete, welcome to the group.  Yes, if you are close to Wayne, it will be well worth your time to go see him.  He's a great (as well as only) source of parts & information.  Yes, I'd like to find out what your serial number & motor number is.  I think it's cool you were able to hang onto the bike all these years.  Absolutely none of my childhood stuff survived....I either took them apart to see what they were made of (& never re-assembled them) or my folks threw them out.  Shoot us some pictures of your bike when you can.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome , Mike .

I did the same thing when I was a kid ... took stuff apart to see how it was put together and what made it work .
And , yup , my Dad threw out the frame and motor for a '54 Cushman scooter that I had behind the shed . :(
I still have a battery powered robot that I got for my 4th or 5th birthday ( took that apart , too LOL ) .

I'll post some Simplex pics and #s when we get set up in Alabama .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
Now that's just disgusting.......I'm so jealeous.....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
Mike ,

I was able to dig the frame and motor out of transport and found bothe frame and motor #s .

Frame # 15225

Motor # M23658B

Do we have access to any documentation of the frame and motor #s within a given year ?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Wow....Pete, your bike's frame is only 24 numbers earlier than mine, and your motor is 97 numbers later than mine.  They had to have been assembled within a day or two of each other.  What color is yours?  Mine was a black frame w/ red fenders & tank.  All of the "experts" think mine is a mid to late '57 model.  Does yours have the brake light switch mounted under the lower rear frame bar? 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
My bike is a dark blue color and does have the brake switch under the right rear frame bar .