Author Topic: Any value in old engine parts?  (Read 1637 times)

illMATTic

• View Profile
Any value in old engine parts?
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
My bike came with an engine in a box. The crank, block, carb, and electronics are garbage. Is there any value in some of the other parts? If not I was thinking of soda blasting it and setting it on a shelf in the garage.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any value in old engine parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »
Is the block cracked or warped? How about the magneto plate.  The cylinder has some value, and I would be interested in it, if you are looking to sell it.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
You might list what you have available 'For Sale' in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section . Be specific in your descriptions to avoid any confusion .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
Unless the parts have been run over by a mack truck, don't discount them yet.  You'd be surprised what kinds of scary rusty piles of crap have been resurrected into running engines.  I used to tinker with stationary engines (still have a McCormick Deering 1.5hp & a Maytag single) & the guys who mess with these motors usually starting with stuff that the average person would consider scrap metal.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Agreed , Mike .
As an example of scrap to usable , I built this bike out of a $40 trailer load of scrap that was headed to the scrap yard :

Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
Ill have a look at everything tonight. I guess it depends on what I can get for the parts. I have no plans at all to rebuild the engine but would like to keep it for display rather than give the stuff away.

Ill post some photos tonight. Its not that pretty though. The guy I bought it from did the engine no favors when he tore it down. Lets just say he did not see any value at all in it.

grandpajoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »
Hi What are you thoughts for seat cover. I haven't done a Simplex yet but have done others. I also make sheaths for straight blades. If you are looking for display engine only and if mine is the same? Trade and barter? grandpajoe