Author Topic: Should I buy 2002 Whizzer PacemakerII?  (Read 5415 times)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
Should I buy 2002 Whizzer PacemakerII?
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
A lot of Whizzer talk on the forum so I have a question.
I may buy a 2002 Whizzer Pacemaker II with 31 miles tomorrow for $1,100.
Can anyone tell me why I should not buy it or reasons to hesitate?
Being made in China I am wondering about the quality and durability.
Are parts and accessories available? Gramps
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:00:23 PM by Gramps »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I buy 2002 Whizzer PacemakerII?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm also curious to hear from someone who's been around the chinese version bikes.  I never saw a real whizzer in real life before going to Portland the first time.....people were just too poor around here to buy one I guess.....
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:43 AM »
Me myself would try to get him to come down on the price. I saw them being sold at Portland for a lot less and heard people talking how short the life of the motor was. Well thats mu two cents.  8)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
Mike...I had three of them. This is the first one and the only one I have pictures of.
This is about 1946 I was 11 years old. I think I paid about $15 for it. As you can see I was big for my age.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
They're from Taiwan not China....there are a few things to do that'll keep the engine happy a long time.  They're far from junk and outperform most motorized bicycle builds easily...new leftover 2008 NE5's here in new england are $1100.....yours with only 30 miles is basically new.... If it has turn signals a tach or rack...they are options ..well',on ne5s they are....expect 35-40mph stock...they can be made faster easily too.
I have a ne5 and ambassador.... Both 2008 (ambassador built from parts has a hf212 on it)....the ones coming out now are called cruzzers....a knockoff and supplied by the maker of the 99-2008 repops......costlier though

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
Go for a later model.  I think that in 2005 they changed engines from the WC1 to the NE5.  It has better cooling and is a lot more durable than the WC1.  I have a 2007 model with 76 miles on it for sale locally for $950.  Here is the key question. Ask the owner how fast it will go.  If he says more than 27 -29 miles per hour, he has removed the restrictors, and you are headed for a rebuild.  The oil capacity of that little engine is only 8 ounces. Look for Whizzer Paul on Ebay as he knows the little machines very well!  Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!! 

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »
Not all have that restrictor or the same carb....its true people lean toward the ne5 engine but don't correctly the others are fine.  Whizzerpaul is a good source for parts and info,or contacts.
 If you want a new ne5 leftover....and are near mass...contact me for their number.....they are 1100 and also have  a dozen leftover 2008 ambassadors.... The auto clutch version.....for 1450

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
Mike: I know what you mean about not seeing one. We were lucky if we had a bicycle.

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
Thank you all for the information. I should have listed this post sooner it is to late now as it sets in my garage. But I am very satisfied with it and have something to ride until I get the 56M running. I didn’t get an owners manual with it so I will be looking for that and a shop manual and any other literature I can find.

Any Tips or tricks on it I would appreciate it.

Racie 35: Anything you can tell me to keep it happy I would appreciate.
Also what is the restrictor?

Butch27: My first bicycle was in WWII I bought the frame from a junk peddler for 15 cents and scrounged up the other parts. The next Christmas all I got was a can of black paint to paint it with.
Gramps

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
My 2 brothers & I had a used bicycle to share & the seat finally gave out.  I scrounged something that wasnt a direct fit & had to change the seat post.  I tried to use a piece of water pipe & drove it into the frame with a hammer....before checking to see if the new seat would fit......we rode that bike for 2 more years standing up.....
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Check in with Whizzer Paul Frey at pfreys2@fuse.net or 513-604-3852.  He can answer any question that you might have.  In addition, he is a very nice guy!!! I am sure that you will enjoy the bike.  Mike