Author Topic: Mecum Auction  (Read 3599 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mecum Auction
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
Unbelievable price for that AMF.  I have this one that runs like new with original tires (they use a raised rib on center for friction drive to run on) and can't reach 20mph on level ground, let alone climb a hill with a 170lb rider. The engine is kind of a novel design but way underpowered.  I wouldn't take 5 of them for any of my Kinetic TFRs, Tomos, or Trac mopeds, let alone Honda Cubs or Ct's!!!  Goes to prove fools and their money can be parted.  (Especially in a Auction setting)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
I'll bet you can still go up & down alleys in Olney, Illinois & find some of those amf mopeds laying next to sheds.  There were dozens of them laying around as worthless junk when I lived there.  I think '78 was the hi water mark for production.  They were out of production by '81, but can't remember the exact year.  I used to take turns putting miles on one as a durability test once.  We all took 2 hour shifts to go riding around out in the country.  Not a bad way to make a living.....
Mike Sal

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
The midwest in general is absolutely loaded up with mopeds. I used to find them by riding my bicycle through town and seeing them in open garages, backyards and so on. If I saw an interesting one, I'd stop and ask if it was for sale. Usually folks were happy to let them go and couldn't believe someone would really want to buy a 20+ (at the time, now 35+) year old moped. Back then if they wanted more than $200, it was an "expensive one" and I probably passed on it. Funny to think about that now!