Author Topic: Cushman Question  (Read 8078 times)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
Cushman Question
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
I am thinking of buying this 1946 Cushman.
The problem I have is there is no title, only a bill of sale.
I have never purchased a vehicle that way before.
Is there much of a problem getting a title.
Any help would be appreciated
Also can anyone tell me where the frame and engine numbers are located?
Thanks John
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Cushman Question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:11:17 AM »
Hi Gramps,
Don't know in your state but I just got a Bonded title in Texas.
I went to the court house tax office and got instructions and the paper work.
I had to get the bike inspected and fill out some paper work stating who I purchased the bike from and any other information I might have. They also wanted the bill of sale as evidence of ownership.
All the papers were filled out and sent to the state for approval.
Once approved they sent them back with their letter of approval and instructions to take out a bond from an insurance company. I used Texas Farm Bureau they charged $15 per $1000 of value total of bond was $90.
Once I got the bond I took everything back to the court house and registered it and got the title in the mail in about two weeks. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it was really easy the time was only a couple hours work and then waiting on the mail for things to be sent back. I would just make sure everything is on the up and up and then go for it. Good luck and cheers Stafford
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:25:45 AM by Stafford »

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »
Hi Gramps,
Stafford again just took a good look at the Cushman.
If you go with it, keep that fish tail.
It is part of the bikes history and gives it that cool factor.
I have put fish tails on just about every street bike I have owned for the past 40 + years.
I even put them on my son's 250 Honda and a mini bike.
It is a good looking Cushman.
Cheers
Stafford

dw1973

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
VIN is 6 digit stamped number on left side up front near floorboard.   Engine should have a tag on base up front by kicker.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
If I ever owned a cushman, this is the style I would want.  I grew up in a little farming town of 400 people & there were only 2 "motorcycles" in town for a long time.....the cool guy, with black fonzy jacket, had a harley hummer & a wierd guy, who didn't own a car, had one of these cushmans.  I've already owned a Hummer, so now all I need is a step thru cushman to satisfy that childhood dream!!!

In the 70's when the jap bikes got to be the thing, several guys were buying 125 dirt bikes for around 400 dollars (new) & then very quickly graduated up to the "big stuff", like 500 kawasaki triples & honda 750K's.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
I forgot to mention that in Illinois, you need to have the bill of sale notorized (when the title is missing).  If you buy it, you might take that precaution as well.
Mike Sal

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi Stafford,
I used upswept fishtails on all my Harleys in my early years.
I also put one on my 1948 Mustang. For a back finder on it I used the rear finder tailgate from a Harley to get that duck tail look.

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
Dw1973,
Thanks for the info. Now I will get the numbers and run down to the Motor Vehicle Department and see what is up before I put down the cash.

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi Mike,
I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles and when I was doing my paper route on a bicycle some of the other guys had Cushman’s and Whizzer’s, I eventually got a Mustang and I upped my route from 100 to 200 customers.
Later when I lost the Mustang (due to a crooked dealer) I bought a 1946 Cushman model 50 step thru. I have never liked the Cushman Eagle as it reminds me of the Powell AV8 and the Jeepette of which I had two. Cushman model 50 step thru was much better for a paper route as you could put the paper bag over the seat. And when I had to go into apartments just kick the stand down and with the centrifugal clutch let it idle.

I think I must be trying to relive my childhood. I have the Simplex and a Whizzer and if I get the Cushman all I will need is a 1948 Mustang.

Every thing motor vehicle in Arizona has to be notarized. Even a clear title on the sale of the vehicle has to be notarized. In California just sign the title.

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
While I was him-hawing around  :-\ about no title IT SOLD! :-[
Oh-well such is life.  :(
Thank all of you for the help.
John

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
Sower grapes Gramps, Sower grapes.
There was a reason it sold to someone else.
Cheers
Stafford

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
Cushman scooters used the engine number as a VIN prior to October 1947.  Later 50 series scooters have a small plate with the frame number spot welded to the floorboard above the dimmer switch. 60 series scooters and eagles have frame numbers stamped into the left side of the frame neck, near the fork.  Late model scooters with a partial tubular frame have a frame number on a small plate welded to the left side of the frame near the kickstand.  It is not unusual for a scooter not to be titled, particularly in rural areas.
Early scooters sold to the military under government contracts have serial numbers stamped on the right side of the frame. I have found this is also true of other brands of scooters.  I assume it is also true for the bikes Simplex sold to the government.  I would be interested in confirmation form owners of the military Simplexes.  The Wheels & Tracks article listed 614 units sold to the Army during WW2: registration numbers 637258-97, 643371-2, 671509-820, and 699023-522.  Can anybody verify these bikes have serial numbers?  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:47:52 PM by rldebuse »