Author Topic: Is anyone doing anything Simplex ?  (Read 4454 times)

pd

• View Profile
Is anyone doing anything Simplex ?
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:35:30 PM »
The  site has been pretty dead lately . I'd think that now , being as we don't have to sit in front of the TV watching the presidential race , someone has to be doing something to some kind of Simplex . ;)

I should talk ... I've only watched my '57 follow me from North central Illinois to South Texas and it's still on the trailer . We haven't sat still for more than about a week . We've been looking for a decent campground to spend a month or two just relaxing and puttsing around . Then , maybe , I'll mess with the Simplex .

Post up guys . It doesn't matter if you only found new and different spark plugs to run . I have to admit that I have done just that , but I'll post in the rider thread about which brand and #s and how well they seem to work .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:37:49 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anyone doing anything Simplex ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
I am doing a complete restoration on the 1955 I bought in West Virginia back in early september. I should have it up and running for the summer season.
Rick

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »
I am going to look a couple of '53s tomorrow.  My Simplex journey is about to begin.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
What color(s) are you thinking about for that one , Rick ?

Derek , Good luck . I hope they are just what the doctor ordered . ;)

Keep us posted as to what you come home with . Pics and all .

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
I picked up the two bikes on Saturday one is a '53 the other is a '54 (mostly a parts bike). I think the '53 is using a mix of parts, for one thing the fender braces don't look correct. I am also unsure about the engine, it looks correct but I can't find a number on it

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
Derek , motor #s are usually stamped on the left side toward the bottom .

Could you please post a pic of that rack from the rear ? It seems to have a rear mount to the fender . Maybe it's just the pic .

The seat mounting seems to be a bit different .

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
You're right the seat doesn't look stock (compared to the other bike) and the rack is unusual, it is made of flat stock instead of tube and has two taillights (w/o lenses) on the back. I'll have to take pictures of it when I get home.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
We are going to need a lot more pictures. The seat should be attached at the front.  The rear fender is not mounted correctly.  The front fender braces are 1949 or earlier, I believe. 

It looks like the bike had a pull start on it, as I see a rope hanging from the handlebars.  The kick start pinion gear is missing, as is the kick starter.  I can't see it good enough, but it looks like the spark plugs and wiring is missing.

Don't be discouraged by my above comments, I think that bike has a lot of potential!

Post plenty of pictures and ask questions and we can help get you pointed in the correct direction.
Rick

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
You're right, the seat has a bolt which goes through the seat bar. Yes it has a pull start, I will need to find the kickstart / pinion parts. I pulled the spark plugs to look at the bore. My guess, too, the fender brace was pre '49. I'll take more pictures tonight.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
I wonder if it is a M motor and it looks like an auto clutch.  But maybe frame is earlier.  It has rear adjusters on the axle. Plus tank looks like it might have went along with the clutch and motor.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »
Looks like a dogleg frame, but hard to tell from side angle.  What is the frame number?  I also think that brake pedal style didn't start until 1953.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 03:31:15 AM »
Yeah Rick I see it.  Plus it has a forward kickstand.  So maybe it is that the fenders have been changed and the rest of the bike matches up. Also has the barrel style spring.   Looks like wide rims but did the later ones have the axle adjusters?  I didn't think so. 

And Derek,  don't get us wrong.  We love your new Simplex!

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »
I figure it is a '53 because the frame number is in the 6,000s, of course I didn't write it down. My concern is about the engine number, I have been looking on the left side but don't see a number, am I looking in the right place? I have enclosed pictures of the engine. I have also enclosed pictures ot the taillight setup on the luggage rack. Does it look something done by a previous owner? I have a three bar rack on the other bike which I plan to use.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:19 PM »
I don't see any #s stamped . Mine are stamped just below the compression plate cover .
I suppose that maybe a factory replacement motor that never got stamped .

The tail light is definitely 'custom' . I highly doubt the factory would allow such poor fitment .
Good use of available mounting space , though .
Standard tail light mounting has always been low on the rear fender about where the rearward braces attach .

Maybe just the camera angle , but the seat spring bar seems to favor the left side .

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
Yeah, the seat bar will need a little "manipulation". Probably the least of the issues.