Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 4148 times)

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
newbie question
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
yea i was not sure where to place this so feel free to move it if i placed this wrong .

Hi im Max im a newbie when it comes to the Simplex iroinicly ive had a Servi-cycle in my crawlspace under my house for longer then ive been born and that means its been there for over 25 years.
i think its a 53 Automatic. in which im interested in restoring along to go with my project truck. anyway. even tho its completely dis assembled. i have noticed 2 things . does anyone on here know where to get a rear wheel belt pully for as mine is rather rusted out and oviously i cant do much with it being in that shape. also one of my foot rests are there but are rusted to the point of having holes, also i do not see a mount for the kick start was there a version without it any idea ?
what is locked must be Unlocked !

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
Welcome Max!  Wayne Mahaffey has most of the parts to restore a servi-cycle.  His contact info is listed under the parts suppliers.

Post some pictures so we can see what you have to work with.  What are the engine and frame numbers?
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
trust me the pictures are limited because literally every single piece is apart. and its in a very confined space. i was told by my father that he once had 2 engines for it so i dont know what is original to the bike
i was only able to find the engine number on the 1 engine i was able to find . which was. # M22545B
i did see on your site where to find the frame # but was unable to find anything .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
What you have there is a mix of parts!  

That frame is a 1945-1948.  I know this because of the location of the kickstand mount, which is behind the engine plate on the left side.  There looks to be several modifications to the frame, such as that hook welded to the right side and I'm not sure what those things welded to the clutch anchor points are for.

Your bike may be a pre kick start model, as kickstart wasn't added until 1947.  They did make a retro fit kit for some earlier models.

The engine case is a later model, probably around 1956 vintage, but has an early, pre 1949 cylinder on it.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:50:02 PM by RickS »
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
Interersting.. well my father did say he found this in a barn in pieces. maybe the other engine is correct.
i still have to dig and hopefully find it.

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
and i was really confused by the front of the motor as it looks like one for a pull start . which oviously looks different then the kick style that ive seen in pictures.

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
how about this is there any other way for me to give you a idea of what model this was becuse from what i see from the loose parts and 2 boxes i think i have 80% of the bike. but i have yet to find the tank for it .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
I agree, that looks like a homemade pull start.  I've seen that done before.   Before kickstart, the bikes where push start.

Finding a gas tank is not easy. They do come up for sale on ebay once in a while, but they are not cheap.
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
well im told the tank in in the crawlspace as well. i just have to really dig for it .
i really would like to do what i can to bring this back to what it originally without really going nuts and start cutting things up ...
i was kinds thinking that the side hook was some kinda rest mount for a side bag or something becuse i have seen them with side bags.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
Be sure you do one important thing before you start the quest. Lay everything out and be sure all parts you need are there and are the correct ones you need. I get hung with the wrong rear fender for the model I built. So lay it out and photograph and post it someone could help save you from having problems later. :o

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
yea trust me i plan to esp considering my father told me there is a older engine back there as well as the missing tank and 2-3 boxes of parts.
he told me its a duel cap tank. and that the mixed age engine was a engine he got at a swap meet for $10 lol.

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »
hahaha actually my father was wrong . i found the tank and its a single right side cap. which i think is right for the frame year. correct ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
That would be the correct tank.

Did you find the other motor?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:59:02 AM by RickS »
Rick

mneukirch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »
not just yet. but i have a feeling the orignal case maybe too damaged to use as my father said when he obtained them it was overly rusted. but im still in the search. realted to the vintage year of this would possably be another place on the frame for the frame number ? becuse i cannot find one on the neck area of the frame.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
There will be no frame number. Frame numbers did not start untill later, I think around 1951.
Rick