Author Topic: Gary Wollard  (Read 1572 times)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Gary Wollard
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
Today marks the one year anniversary of Gary's death.  What a character he was.  I never spent any face to face time or phone time with him that I did not enjoy.  I tried to call Adam earlier this evening to let him know that I was thinking of him, but I did not get an answer.  Through Gary I had the opportunity to meet both of his children, Adam and Chris, his ex wife, Leslie, both Dave and John Treen, Norman Burton, Bob Legron, Wayne Mahaffey, Larry Brown, and Gary's nephew, Hal Lee.  Hal joked that there were more toilets at the 1993 show in Hammond, LA, than participants, but it was a blast!  Gary had the most interesting analytical mind of anyone I have ever known.  He was brilliant with making changes to the Simplex engine.  He said that my engine ran 50 degrees cooler that a stock engine, and had considerably more power as well.  My wife would often say, "It's Gary on the phone for you.  You better use the regular phone as you two will kill the battery on the cordless phone."  So, on this day I salute you, Gary Wollard.  I will never forget the good times and conversations we shared!  What he did to promote collecting and restoring Servi-Cycles cannot be measured!!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gary Wollard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
We're going to florida in late April/early May & am making enough time available to visit with Adam & take a peek at the collection.  I'm sure sorry I didn't get to meet Gary.
Mike Sal

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
It's been a long day, and I now realize that I failed to mention Gary's grandson as part of the family that I have met.  Gary loved to talk about "Little Gary" and spent a great deal of time with him. I still have the pictures that we took of him at the skateboard park in Bradenton. 

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Mike, Any chance you can share any of those engine tips for cooler running motors?
Mike Sal

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
 ;D I second that if you could find the time to explain how to tune these engines i would appreciate it very much.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »
Gary had said that his second book would be a "how to" book.  I have been talking with Adam and Leslie about the notes that they found (about that book).  We are working on an idea of how to make that available, but I have not yet spoken with Gary's older son, Chris, about the idea, and I don't want to do anything until I have had that conversation.  I promise that it will be available in the future.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
Mike, any luck on getting the notes together for publication?
Rick