Author Topic: Interpreting Model M transmission guidance  (Read 2158 times)

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
Interpreting Model M transmission guidance
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
From the Model M Instruction Manual, page 8, dealing with adjustment of the long drive belt and the small pulley:

"....The long belt should then ride high in the 4" pulley, allowing the inner faces of the pulley to touch. If there is clearance between the inner faces, loosen the nuts on the clutch rod #1814 at clutch clevis #1818. Screw up on the forward nut while rolling the machine, until the inner faces of the pulley touch."

How would the "inner faces of the pulley" touch? I've asked around and got one answer, but I'd like some input.

Thanks,
CLWebster

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interpreting Model M transmission guidance
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

The pulley is adjustable ...meaning that it will spread apart allowing the belt to ride down very low in the pulley.  In that position, there will be a wide separation of the pulley near the center shaft.  The pulley can be narrowed causing the belt to ride very high near the outer edge.  That make the single pulley function as if it were both large and small.  To have the correct adjustment, there has to be be a base width measurement taken when the two sides almost touch near the shaft.  These things are widely used on farm equipment for a variable speed drive.  Does this make sense?

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
Hello Lon ,,,There is no proper english words to descre pulley syss .  kinda like describing courtroom procedure to a layman , ( what with all the latin and all .)  call me and maybe I can help you ,    best regards   Larry.

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Thanks Larry & OEM, this is helpful. Larry, got your message on Sunday but could not talk, will call you!

CLWebster