Author Topic: Gas Tank Sealer  (Read 1892 times)

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
Gas Tank Sealer
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
Got my gas tank off and stripped down. Bare metal looks good from the outside, but I've shaken out some pretty thick pieces of rust from the inside. Fishing for the best tried and true method for rust removal in this type of situation. And has anyone tried this product or similar products? If so, what is your opinion of them?
http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

pd

• View Profile
Re: Gas Tank Sealer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
Caswell is about the only treatment that I haven't read a bad review on .

I used oxalic acid . Here's an excerpt from my build thread :

This was an experiment for me . My Simplex had a bit of rust forming in the gas tank . Not too bad considering the bike is 55 years old . I'd read that different acids worked for removing rust .

I used muriatic acid to clean my XT350 tank with decent results . That tank did flash rust and I retreated it and then neutralized the acid ASAP . It still formed a small amount of flash rust . I'm running it with an in line paper fuel filter and haven't had any problems .

The Simplex tank is a bit more rare and harder to find . I was reluctant to use muriatic acid in it for those reasons . Through research , I read about oxalic acid , sold as wood bleach . Oxalic acid is a lot safer to work with , but still requires due caution ( READ THE LABEL ) . It's not nearly as toxic as muriatic acid . It does NOT harm painted surfaces . It just eats rust and leaves a protective coating on the steel after being thoroughly rinsed with water .

I used a diluted mixture from what is suggested , which is 12 ounces to 1 gallon of water . I used 12 ounces to 2 gallons of water . Being as the solution was weaker , I left the mixture in the tank twice as long and the results are shown below .

One last thing : Use a heat gun or hair drier to thoroughly remove any remaining water after the last rinse and empty .

This is what I used :

Here's the rusted tank :

And, here's the tank after being filled with oxalic acid for a couple of days :

This stuff really does work great . I'll use it from now on when treating rust .

Here are a few other things I've treated :

Before :

After :

You can see where I wiped some of the protective coating off the black plate in the last pic .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
I have had no problems with POR 15 tank repair kit.  The kit includes three parts: 1. A solution to get rid of old gas and oil residue, 2. Phosphoric acid to remove the rust, and 3. a tank sealer.  The phosphoric acid with does not produce any flash rust (up to 24 hours after treatment).   I rinse out the acid with cold water, shake out as much as possible, dry with a hair dryer, and seal.  Any threads must immediately be cleaned before the sealer starts to set up.  Now that I am writing this, I cannot remember what I used to clean the threads.  I'll add the name of the chemical tonight.  Getting old is a bummer.......  Mike

Shifter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
I have used Caswell and I have to say it is awesome stuff. I used Redcoat and it failed probably due to the ethanol in todays fuels. I flushed out the redcoat and put the Caswell in and have had no issues with the tank since. This stuff will even fill pinholes in the tank. I know a guy that builds custom tanks and this is the only stuff he uses. Just my two cents.

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »
Thanks guys! I have some bicycle parts soaking in Oxalic Acid this very minute. Good to know that I don't need anything stronger than that for the Simplex tank. Glad to hear the positive reviews on the Caswell. I'll be taking an auto body repair class this Fall, and the Simplex will be my project. I'll be trying the Caswell under the instructors guidance, just cause I'm a 'fraidy cat the first time around.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
Well I hate to be the one that's gives negative points but flush your tank good after you seal it. I tried to get my brothers bike started at Portland but never could plus I didn't want to be working on it there. After I got it home I tried again. Having time to take it apart I found that there was no gas making it to the carb. I pulled the bowl off and turned the full on but nothing would come out. Let me tell you you pull the fuelbowl and cutoff valve off gas will come out of the tank. The photo shows what had blocked the fuel from making it to the carb. After I got it back together and fuel to the engine it started. So just a F Y I  information.