Author Topic: Gas Tank Fuel outlet  (Read 2955 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gas Tank Fuel outlet
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
While buffing the paint on the sportsman, I noticed that the fuel outlet is stripped, as in NO threads left.  I put my 1/8 NPT die on it and it barley catches.  Any suggestions?  I could have a new one welded in, but that would ruin the paint.  How about JB welding a 1/8 NPT female to male extension to the stripped outlet.  Do you think it will hold up?
Rick

WillH

Re: Gas Tank Fuel outlet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Rick; on my recently acquired tank, it looks like a 1/8" nipple was screwed into the welded on boss; looks like one could just screw the damaged nipple out and screw in another. Yours may not be the same. You might take a look.

Will

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Rick ,

I've never had any good luck with JB Weld where any fuel came in contact with it , not even oil .

Maybe tap the existing outlet and use something like :

Being as there is some hold , I think you could epoxy a fitting on the current bung ( this is what you suggested ) :

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
Well, I tried Will's suggestion without any luck.  All I managed to do was start to crush the nipple.  I then inserted a bolt into the nipple to give some support, and tried again.  This got me to twist off some more metal with no luck.  I then went for broke and used my angle die grinder with a sanding flap disc and ground it down flush to the bung.  I then drilled and tapped it back to 1/8" NPT.  Now I just need to get a new nipple and all will be good again.  Thanks for the suggestions Will and Pete!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:43:23 PM »
I hope it doesn't leak , too bad .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »
Rick, just take care that you might have to grind a little off of the side of the nipple that goes up into the tank.  If if sticks thru too far, you won't be able drain all of the tank (if needed).
Mike Sal

WillH

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:12 AM »
Rick, just take care that you might have to grind a little off of the side of the nipple that goes up into the tank.  If if sticks thru too far, you won't be able drain all of the tank (if needed).
Mike Sal

Just don't tap the hole too deep and install with a Loctite thread sealer product.

Will

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
Rick, just take care that you might have to grind a little off of the side of the nipple that goes up into the tank.  If if sticks thru too far, you won't be able drain all of the tank (if needed).
Mike Sal

Just don't tap the hole too deep and install with a Loctite thread sealer product.

Will

I ran the tap in just far enough so I wouldn't loose the taper.  The nipple just reaches the inside of the tank and is nice and tight.  I used some Permatex High Temperature thread sealant, so it should be like new.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:08:18 PM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
Good you got it fixed .
There's nothing quite like having a new bung . :D

WillH

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
Great! I'm glad you did it! Now we know it can be done.

I would bet that, originally, they threaded the 1/8" nipple into the flange but they may have tack welded on the inside to keep it from screwing out. I have not had a tank open for inspection.

Will

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
Not the best pictures, but here it is.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »
I can't tell from the pics , but I think that should work .