Author Topic: Bob Kerr ?????  (Read 2725 times)

WillH

Bob Kerr ?????
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:12 AM »
I'm new to the forum and reading all the old posts trying to educate myself on the Simplex bikes. I am seeing several posts referring to Bob Kerr; who is/was he? He seems to have had a long time connection with Simplex and maybe supplying parts at one time?? I didn't find a reference to him in the parts suppliers and I didn't find an address. Can anyone shed some light on this. Is he still alive?  Anyone have contact information. Thanks so much

Will

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Kerr ?????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:13:28 AM »
Bob is from Oklahoma & comes to the VMBC convention in Portland every year.  He's been into Simplex for so long he doesn't even bring one to the meet anymore.  You'd never guess from his humble appearance & attitude, but he's been a very successful machine shop owner supporting the aerospace industry.  He used to make some reproduction motor parts, like rods, pinion gears, etc, but doesn't seem to be doing it much now.

I sent him an email recently with a copy of the roster, but have not heard back from him yet.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15:44 AM »
Bob is still alive!  He is a retired machine shop owner who used to make some parts.  I think the only thing he still makes is connecting rods to convert to needle bearings. He is of the opinion that the connecting rod is the weak link in the Simplex motors, and has caused the demise of many when they break.

Check out this thread for some info on Bob, and some pictures of the parts that he makes/made.

Come to Portland for the VMBC meet and he will be there.

Mike, you beet me by 2 minutes while I was searching for the link!  LOL
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »
I'm just catching up on the site after being in Mexico all week.  The only old scooter I saw down there was a honda passport like the one I have.  You're taking your life in your own hands to ride in that country.
Mike S

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
"You're taking your life in your own hands to ride in that country.
Mike S"

Too many pot holes ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

WillH

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
Bob is still alive!  He is a retired machine shop owner who used to make some parts.  I think the only thing he still makes is connecting rods to convert to needle bearings. He is of the opinion that the connecting rod is the weak link in the Simplex motors, and has caused the demise of many when they break.

Check out this thread for some info on Bob, and some pictures of the parts that he makes/made.

Come to Portland for the VMBC meet and he will be there.

Mike, you beet me by 2 minutes while I was searching for the link!  LOL

Somehow I missed the link.

Will

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »
Yea I think it was Bob that I meet in Portland last year and why Ipulled my enging apart to rrebuild it. He is a very nice fellow with mega info to share.   8)

WillH

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
Would someone share contact information? Thanks

Will

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:59:31 PM »
Per the VMBC roster:

kerrmr@yahoo.com

580-566-2650

Hope this helps
Mike Sal

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
I have been to his home and work shop. He is located about 20 miles east of Durant Oklahoma on a small rural road. He at the time I was there{ two years ago} making some rods and other parts for the Sevi Cycles. A very sharp person on history and the engines of Servi Cycles,
Last phone number I have for him is 580 5662650

WillH

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
Thanks guys, he's not too far from me.

Will