Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 168481 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »
Be careful when tightening the screws on both the carb and compression plate.  Use some gasket sealer & just snug them enough to do the job.  Those flanges (especially the carb) love to warp.  Now that you've filed some material off of them to regain flatness, they are that much weaker to resist bending again.

Kartjockey, having a piece of emery paper glued to a flat metal plate has always been one of my "tools" of the trade. 
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
"  I bet you're anxious to be sittin' on your bike and feel the wind in your face once again! "

You can bet on it , Tom . ;)    I have other 'cycles' but none that are so much a piece of my memories . It will be great when it happens .

" Be careful when tightening  "   Thanks for the reminder , Mike .

That's one of the first things I learned when I started using leverage ( wrenches ) . I'd tell myself " just a little bit more " and then "crap , how do I fix this ? " LOL   So , I learned , the hard way .

As for the flanges , true , they are a bit weaker by themselves , but having both mating surfaces flat / flush  should add strength to the joint . Hopefully the carb will not have to be 'single' for long . ;)

I appreciate your input , guys . Thanks .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
    I too have wondered about how the compression was sealing. I have seen oil dripping from the plate and wondered if I should be using a rtv sealent. If I can get back to it I would like to try that new plate I got for it. Its really thick and should not bend or give way very easy. Also if I am undering standing what I am reading if you are a member of the VMBC you can come and go without paying that is after you pay the entry fee???  Also seeing that I'm not a member yet should I try to join now or when I get there??? Well I got six months and a boat load of questions to ask...  ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
Reese, join now. It's only $25 and just show the ID card they send you for free daily admission to the show.  This does not include camping though, that is extra.

With a VMBC membership, you get the quarterly magazine and membership book.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
   Rick, ok I will get that in the mail soon. and if all goes well and my wife is up for it we should be there by Sunday morning if not late Saturday night. The last time I went to that part of the country it was a three day event to get there u-haul trucks don't go very fast. So anything y'all can think I should do before then give a shout out. K  :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
A bit of progress :

That's my transmission , assembled and functional . :)

Prior to putting it together , I installed my version of :

Cut from :

And fits :

I think it'll do the job nicely . It's very absorbent and won't come apart very quick .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 02:30:50 PM by pd »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:59 AM »
Looking Good!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
This thread (or topic) sure has spiraled off in many tangents hasn't it.   There are some good posts & information in the many pages which probably should go into specific categories to avoid getting lost in the future.
Mike Sal

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »
 Your clutch rebuild is looking great! Does the clutch bracket attach to the out side of the frame on both sides on the 56 model?

Ken

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Is that sponge material compatible with grease & oil?  You don't want that thing turning to goo.

Hmmm.....the tranny hoop bracket......don't know if it's correct or not, but mine is on the outside on the left side and on the inside on the passenger's side.

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
Mike, the manual shows it just like yours is. I have looked at pictures on the net and my bracket is spread a little wide so I was a little confused. I did not take the bike apart so I just wanted to make sure. I'm waiting for a new drive belt and then will be installing my clutch assembly.

Thanks for clarifying my question.

Ken

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Thanks Ken .

I believe the bracket attaches the same as on my '57 , which is outside on the left and inside on the right .

Mike ,

that does not seem to have been affected by petroleum products . I have used them for cleanup and they don't show any signs of deterioration . I don't expect there will be very much 'sling' oil , but I'll check it after a while anyway .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:32:25 PM by pd »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
PD, did you flip your moveable pulley side (the one with the square part on the backside to interact with the counterweights)?  When I had mine apart, I noticed that the weights had worn small grooves into the flats on the square part, so I flipped mine 90 degrees so a nice flat surface is now against the weights.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
Sure did , Mike .

I noticed that the weights had also worn the back side of the sheave where they would meet it at all out position . Those were likely coincidental to hollows ( for a lack of a better word ) in the weight 'ramps' / guides . The hollows were exactly where the weights would have spent time making the wear makes . I used my handy angle grinder to smooth those hollows and of course change the ramp radius slightly ( hopefully not too much ) . The weights seem to migrate , from stop position to all out , seamlessly . I guess I'll know just how well , or not , I did when I get to take her for her second maiden run .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
I asked this question before and haven't gotten an answer , as far as I know .

So here it is again : What is the size of the venturi of the OEM Tillotson MT1 carbs ? At least a close educated estimate .