Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 168210 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
I didn't like how the kick spring seated any way I tried , so I created a simple remedy . I drilled a hole about twice the diameter of the spring wire ( looks a lot bigger in the pic ) . The hole you see in the shaft mount plate at about 5 o'clock was there , probably from the factory . I simply used that hole as a guide for the through hole I drilled . The spring now seats very nicely and is secure . I used Reese's method for mounting the spring as it wouldn't be possible with the shaft installed . Thanks Reese . Reese might recognize the 'paper' I used as a backdrop . ;) 

Sorry for the poor pic . Two hands and three things to do , kinda thing .

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:24:26 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
Was your kick shaft welded into the frame, or just held with the bolt.  Mine was welded (on both sides) to the motor plate in addition to the bolt. 

I still haven't found where I hid my bugler stripe tool.....I still don't have the stripes on my rims.....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
My kick shaft is just bolted , no welds , fortunately . I read in one of your posts about that weld job .

I was just reading the instructions / tips in preparation for trying my hand at stripping and that booklet was the closest light colored piece when I needed it to show the through hole . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
My stripe tool was made by Bugler, but sold thru Sears & Roebuck.  It's driving me crazy looking for it......

Let us know how yours turn out. What paint & how much thinner works the best for you?
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
Will do , Mike .

I have to pick up paint . It might be a week before I get into town . The closest place is about 24 miles away , on a good day ( bad day , it might be a lot farther ) . :)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
I also have a Beugler stripping tool.  Go to a sign painter's store to purchase the paint.  I have a VHS instructional tape for this tool if anyone needs it, or it might be available from their website.  Mike

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip , Mike . :)

I've been getting the wheels ready for service .

Last night I was working on the rear wheel and found that I had no dust cap for the bearings inside the brake hub .
I had the round piece of sponge that was left from cutting the sponge doughnut for the transmission . It is just the right size to overlap the hub housing for the bearing cup , so I cut a hole to accommodate the axle and slipped it into place . Excellent dust seal as well as grease catch .

Looking at the rubber I might put on the rims , I inspected what I have . The 55 year old original equipment inner tubes are holding air nicely and not a patch on them . Amazing .

The tires are not even weather checked . The rear is a bit worn and the front is like new . I believe the front had been replaced when the PO hit what ever it was that bent the rim . I can still read the Simplex Servi Cycle lettering on the center rib .

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:29:11 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
In prepping to paint the fenders and tank , I'm using a high build primer suggested by Rick . Thanks for that , Rick . :)
That stuff is doing a nice job of filling scratches and small 'imperfections' . I am using multiple coats for the more serious dings and rust pits that didn't want to come out with the mandrel and hammer . So far , I think it's much easier to work with than body filler , like Bondo and it happens to be a lot less costly as well .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:08:28 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Gentlemen ,
The rear fender requires a spacer at it's lower front mount . Could someone please do me a favor by measuring that spacer and posting it's length ?
Thanks ,
Pete . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
Another question : ( one no one will have to go out to the garage to answer )

The throttle control : is it spring loaded to return to idle as on a standard motorcycle or is it a friction set type , where it stays where it's set as on a lawnmower or garden tractor ?

It seems , from reading the brochures and such , that it was meant to be a friction set type control , but ...

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Pd,I don't think they used springs on the carbs. They look to have two types of control oalne cable that attached to the top and you twisted it till it idle down. Then you have the hard wire that forces it to the idle point. Me I have a mini bike control on mine that has a braided cable that will not close with out a return spring, but there's no place to mount a spring. Except to put one over the cable to help it return close. So hope this helps.    Reese

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
The cable works as a push-pull. No return spring.  I think of it as built in cruise control!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
OK , Thanks guys .
I thought it was a 'cruise control' type , but wasn't positive . I couldn't find any type of spring in the parts book .
I'd thought about just going with a motorcycle / minibike twist control like Reese has , but I like the idea of concealed cables to preserve the clean look .
Anyway , I developed a push / pull type control where the right grip slides up and down ( on and off ) the handlebar instead of around the bar .
Here are the parts :
The black tubes ( grips ) are pieces of aluminum tubing I salvaged from a broken collapsible canopy leg .
The brown pieces and the grip end plugs are hard wood salvaged from an old broom handle . These are held in the tube(s) by a few brass brads which are removable if service is needed . The piece on the cable is a centering plug that keeps the cable from too much bend while in service . The honed out piece fits on the tapered side of the cable end knob and the flat side of the knob sits against the grip end plug .

Here is the cable and control together :

And here they are on the handlebar :
This pic shows the throttle closed :

This pic shows the throttle wide open :

From closed to wide open position is a little more than an inch .
The control and cable end are held in place by a set screw against the cable where it enters / exits the handlebar , close to the handlebar mount . No springs involved . ;)

p.s. : I'm thinking of covering the tubes ( grips ) with thin foam like is used on bicycle handlebar covering .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:35:01 PM by pd »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »
The only thing I have against this set up is that your peg board is way too organized.....what other devious "non-man" crimes might you be hiding?????
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
Ha , it's a good thing you can't see my work bench . It's a very well organized mess .  ;D