Author Topic: rotary valve and engine case repair  (Read 906 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
rotary valve and engine case repair
« on: April 22, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »
Good morning,
I have gotten back to my K model project and have attempted to start the engine.  It will try to idle but is spitting a lot of fuel out of the carburetor.  It will not speed up. When I had the engine apart, I knew the rotary valve and engine case has a lot of damage and I think that is keeping it from running.
I am wondering what others have tried to repair these items?  I am looking for ideas before I try either making an oversized rotary valve and machining the case to fit, or sleeving the case to fit a smaller rotary valve.  Possibly smearing JB weld on the surfaces to fill in voids and refinishing to original size.

Please let me know of things that have been tried.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
Re: rotary valve and engine case repair
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:30:22 AM »
Post some pics of the damage , if you have them .

Not sure if Wayne would have a replacement valve or not .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
I do not have it apart yet, but will take some when I do.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Good evening,
I found that I have an ignition problem I did a different post about.  I also found the engine was flooding I did a different post about.  I did get it running though and I think it will tune in enough to at least drive if I can get the other problems fixed.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 05:46:55 AM »
Good it's running .
At least you have a base to work from .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 06:04:43 PM »
Good evening,
I am checking all the parts while I have this engine apart and it looks like someone has increased the length of the rotary valve cutout by a fair bit.  This affects the crankcase pressure while the piston is on the way down because it seems to me like it closes too late and will force mixture back out of the carburetor and also make it not pump the charge into the combustion chamber well.

I am wondering if anyone has one of these valve to take measurements from to compare?  Refer to attached images.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 06:30:33 AM »
I took a look at a couple of these.  Outside Diameter = 2.056"   Then I measured across the opening as pictured.  Both compared to one another.   I agree with the slot starting by the keyway as you have outlined. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 07:02:09 AM »
When I got my '48 the rotary valve had worn down and the block had worn out.  The intake hose between the breather and the carb was torn.  I speculated that the engine had ingested too much dirt.  In an effort to keep the bike original I machined a sleeve to renew the block.  It was kind of tricky as that is the same bore the crank bearings fit in to.  I duplicated exactly what the bore looked like on the inside of the block.  At the time (1992) I had very little contacts for parts so I sleeved the rotary valve back up to size.  Clearance is  .0025" per side.   

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 07:19:15 AM »
Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to check parts.  I was just about to reply to that when you post of the sleeve arrived and that is great you did that.
Mine fits snug, but has a lot of scoring because someone sandblasted the engine and did not cover that and filled the engine.  At some time before I bought it, the flywheel had been rotated at least a few times to damage the surfaces.  Unfortunate.

So I measure my slot and it is 1.7" using calipers (my metal calipers are not digital so you cant see it good enough in a picture).  The hand grinding starts on mine after 1.47", so it has been modified quite a bit and I bet it was hard to start.

I am going to make a new rotor and that will fix the matter of valving and scoring on the surface.

Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 03:15:09 PM »
Good evening,
I have started making a new rotor and I am wondering if you know why the keyway is blind?  Maybe for assembly purpose to keep from being installed backwards.  I am hoping we have a broach and bushing at work that will fit.  Otherwise, I will drill and file or try the shaper.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 07:00:50 PM »
It is a blind keyway.  Open to the hollow side.  Perhaps you are right about simplex doing that for assembly purposes.  Looks like .875" bore but keyway measures .136"    9/64"?   

Can't wait to see your end product!

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »
Good evening,
attached are images of my new rotor.   I am blessed to work at a place I have access to broach and mill because I only have a lathe and drill press at home.
It took a long time to make because I had to stop a lot to check for exact measurements on OD and width, I do not have an adjustable reamer and the bore is a pinch bigger than .875 for slip fit.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 03:05:13 PM »
That is Beautiful!  Great work.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 03:07:34 PM »
Looking sweet! 

Scooter, are you coming to Portland for the meet in June?
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 03:17:15 PM »
Thank you for the complements!

I used to go to some swapmeets, but probably wont again until I retire in a decade.  I hardly have time for now.

I will have to log back in later, some electrical storms are approaching.

Thank you,
Scooter