Author Topic: rotary valve and engine case repair  (Read 907 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: rotary valve and engine case repair
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 05:47:21 PM »
Scooter, if you’re  not retiring for a decade, you must be the youngest guy in this site! Lol :)
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 04:52:25 AM »
Very nice work on that rotor , Scooter .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »
Good evening,
Also thank you to you to Pete for the compliment on the work.

Not many left younger that interested in motorbike or engine restoration.  It is disappointing.

Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 05:02:45 AM »
I think there's actually more than a few that are interested . Just that there aren't many that have or can even afford a Simplex to work on . And , how many have ever seen a Simplex or know that they exist .

i'm always educating folks as to what my '57 is .

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2022, 04:51:15 PM »
Good evening,
I decided to fill in the scoring in my rotor valve bore by smearing in a thin layer of JB weld and swiping it with a box knife blade so it is only as tall as the high points of the scoring. I think it will help.
I am not worried about the fuel affecting it since it is epoxy.  I did soaking samples several years ago leaving the samples submerged in gasoline, alcohol and acetone for a year with no noticeable affect.  Also not worried about it coming loose.  If it does, I will fix it.

Ignore the debris in the block, I promise I will clean it before I put it back together.
Thank you,
Scooter

DynoDan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 11:20:11 PM »
Hello all. I am a newbie to the site but have owned a 48 Exactly like Kartjockey's for almost 50 years. I am planning an engine rebuild/refresh complete with bore and oversize piston/rings, bearings, etc; I have noticed carb blow-back and suspected rotary valve clearance issues were the fault so, this thread is of particular interest to me. Many THANKS for sharing your findings. Its good to know that Im not sailing alone on this one and can consult the guys in the know!  Scooter4... thats an outstanding job you did on that rotary valve!! .002 clearance? Oh yeah!
Guess my next step is to remove the engine for tear down and have a long careful look to assess things. What to do about the RV clearance thing has had me scratching my head a while now but, I wont know how bad things are till I have a look. Wish me luck. Thanks again, guys!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 06:40:04 AM »
Hello all. I am a newbie to the site but have owned a 48 Exactly like Kartjockey's for almost 50 years. I am planning an engine rebuild/refresh complete with bore and oversize piston/rings, bearings, etc; I have noticed carb blow-back and suspected rotary valve clearance issues were the fault so, this thread is of particular interest to me. Many THANKS for sharing your findings. Its good to know that Im not sailing alone on this one and can consult the guys in the know!  Scooter4... thats an outstanding job you did on that rotary valve!! .002 clearance? Oh yeah!
Guess my next step is to remove the engine for tear down and have a long careful look to assess things. What to do about the RV clearance thing has had me scratching my head a while now but, I wont know how bad things are till I have a look. Wish me luck. Thanks again, guys!

Welcome DynoDan . :)

Pics of your bike , please .

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2022, 03:23:22 PM »
Good evening and welcome DynoDan.
Maybe after you get a chance to check the crank bearings for play if you need to just fix a little scoring in the block you can try smearing in some slow set JB weld like I did. I have not run it maybe an hour but seams to have stayed in place.  It did not take long to do.
The good part of the bearing bores on each side of where the rotor valve runs was close enough together to use a new box knife blade as a straight edge to smear in the JB weld and clean off any that is anywhere but in any scoring with the box knife blade for sure in the snap ring grooves.  Dont want to leave any build on the bearing bores or they wont go back in.
Good luck.
Scooter

DynoDan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 11:02:17 AM »
Yeah Scooter4, the JB slow epoxy is by far the strongest as is true with most all epoxies. And making sure the surface is spanky clean!
I wont know till I have a look inside what Im up against but am prepping the 'surgery room' (my dining room) to rcv the Servi after I put the flat tracker in the garage.  Here are some pics as requested. Not sure exactly how to attach the pics...Hoping this works.

DynoDan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 11:16:25 AM »
Well, that didnt work and the 'help' link for uploading pics was of little use. Help! Thnx

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2022, 12:10:34 PM »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2022, 01:33:09 PM »
Well, that didnt work and the 'help' link for uploading pics was of little use. Help! Thnx

Dan, did you get the private message I sent you a couple of days ago?  If not, let me know, and I can send you an email with my phone number.
Rick