Author Topic: Wico magneto wont spark at kick starter speed  (Read 776 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Wico magneto wont spark at kick starter speed
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 04:34:37 PM »
Thanks Tom . ;) It amazes and pleases me sometimes what works .

I have two wires running to the plugs , but , only one is 'live' . The other has both ends 'insulated' with no connections to anything , just pushed into the plug boot for looks . Heck , that plug isn't even functional . It has no ground strap/tang or functional core .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:04 PM »
Thank you for the replies,
Cushman 6V sounds great.  I will let magneto guy know because I sent him a question this morning if he had one that would fit and the pictures and dimension.
The Cushman 6V is easy to find.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 05:39:34 PM »
Finally, some good news!
I got the 6v Cushman coil today and it works great.  Fair enough spark turning by hand and kick starts easily.  I even switched back to the reproduction condenser just to be fair for experimenting and it works equally well.  Thank you for telling me about the coil.

I have bought a lot of coils over the years and this is the first time I had a new one that measured proper but failed to work.  I am guessing it was arcing internally.  What a waste of my time and probably $100 for that twin.  I dont have the receipt anymore.

I was worried the Cushman coil was not going to work because the primary resistance is very low.

Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
Good evening,
I drove the K model today and it runs great! It is always a joy to resurrect something. 
I really enjoy riding a Simplex.  I have not driven one since 1995 when I restored an H and an M for a friend.  I did my M at the same time, but have never started it because the throttle tube is missing.  I will make one soon.

I am surprised at how fast it goes in low.  I bet it can go at least 20 mph.  I checked the belts and pulleys and they are as far as they can go to get the lowest speed.  The pulley is all the way to make the motor belt ride as high in the groove as possible and the final belt is riding as low in the pulley as it can.  I does have reasonable power though on flat.

I still have a lot to do before I will take it back apart to paint.  I need to consider finding some correct parts because I have the wrong tail light, kicker, flywheel cover and seat pan.

I have been grateful for your help.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 04:50:18 AM »
Excellent . We love it when another Simplex 'graces' the streets . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

DynoDan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2022, 12:00:30 AM »
I have recently experienced the same issue of no spark at kick rpm. My 48 has a Wico model FW 1278B as per the original operation and maintenance manual that came with the bike. I replaced the original condenser (brass barrel) that was going soft with a OReilly part number DR60. This along with filing and resetting the points, did the trick. Nice bright blue 'snaps' on both plugs now!  It is true that Wico made mags for Evenrude and Johnson outboards so, I imagine those coils would work if the original is failing. IMO, resistors serve no purpose in a spark plug or end cap other than to suppress RF noise and can only make for a 'colder' spark. I never used them in my flat track bikes.
In my case...the now intermittent spark is being caused by worn out bearings allowing the mainshaft and cam to wobble enough to upset things so I plan a top down engine refresh.  ***something I cant understand is why I couldnt get a reading on the secondary coils(s) but they work!! Bad Meter?? 

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 03:27:51 PM »
Good evening,
not a bad meter, but an open in the secondary windings. It is going bad somewhere in there.  Run it till it wont.  The Cushman coil the others recommended I buy was cheap and works great it you need to replace it.  But mark which plug wire you connect it to so you will know when you have to trouble shoot.
Good luck,
Scooter