Author Topic: Registering Simplex as a moped?  (Read 2282 times)

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
Registering Simplex as a moped?
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
Hi all, I'm still in the beginning stages of a build with a HF Predator engine but am curious how some of you have gone about registering your Simplexes with non-original engines as mopeds and what, if any, things need to be added to pass inspection for street use. Thanks for any advice you have for me!
-Zach

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Registering Simplex as a moped?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
I think this will depend on where you live.  In New York, there are 3 classes of mopeds.  Unfortunately, DMV would not let me register mine as a moped, by only as a motorcycle.

In my state, bikes are registered by the frame year, reguardless of engine year.  They have to have the equipment that was required at the time of manufacture, not what is required on a new machine.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
Here's a thread on the VMBC forum that might help :

http://vintagemotorbikeclub.org/forums/topic/looking-for-a-title/

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:11:41 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
I'm in Kansas. I have no idea how strict they are about registering policies. I've built and driven around a motorized bicycle with absolutely zero issues from the local police, so maybe I'll be in good shape? Is it the DMV that classifies it as a motorcycle or moped? I read somewhere that a moped in Kansas is classified as having no more than 3.5 horsepower and 130cc but I've seen photos of another member's Simplex with the same engine as mine with moped tags. I believe "carryall" was the member

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
I'm in Kansas. I have no idea how strict they are about registering policies. I've built and driven around a motorized bicycle with absolutely zero issues from the local police, so maybe I'll be in good shape? Is it the DMV that classifies it as a motorcycle or moped? I read somewhere that a moped in Kansas is classified as having no more than 3.5 horsepower and 130cc but I've seen photos of another member's Simplex with the same engine as mine with moped tags. I believe "carryall" was the member

Go to the DMV and ask some questions.  I wouldn't even mention the engine change, that would just be another thing to confuse them.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
State & local ordinances both apply here in Oklahoma though local cannot supercede or contradict state mandates it can supplement legislative regulations. Kansas will be somewhat different without a doubt. Rick S. is correct in directing you to DMV, though you may not like the answers, you will know what your dealing with prior to seeking more esoteric solutions with out of state registration. I'm in the process getting the answers for my latest build from our local tag agency rep. She has provided title for quite a few of my hot rod creations over the last few years with only a frame or cab seriel number. I bought a Bronco in Kansas a few years back and the District attorney had to authorize the transfer of title in that specific situation...a first for me & a might unsettling as well!   RC

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll keep the group posted on my adventure