Author Topic: simplex automatic  (Read 9041 times)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
simplex automatic
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »

Hi every one my name is Eric and I live in the UK, I have just bought a ex  usaf servi cycle in rough condition.i think it was probably a fire service bike as its painted yellow. what I need to know is where can I get any spares for it and when did they start to fit a front brake as I have got fit one before I can get it registerd to go on the road

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: simplex automatic
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
Hi Eric, welcome!  For parts, Wayne Mahaffey is the only supplier for these bikes.  His contact info can be found here: http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=4.0

As for the front brake, it was an option on most bikes. As it cost an additional $5-10, most bikes did not come with one.  They also are not very effective, and being a leading axle front end design, cause the front end of the bike to lift under braking. That said, Wayne can hook you up with all the parts needed to convert a free wheel to front brake.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »
If you register it as a antique/collector bike, would front brakes still be a requirement to get it licensed?  Here (in my state anyways) vehicles are only required to have what ever equipment was "standard" for its day. (such as cars/motorcycles with no seat belts, blinkers, etc...)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
Welcome Eric ... :)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
If you register it as a antique/collector bike, would front brakes still be a requirement to get it licensed?  Here (in my state anyways) vehicles are only required to have what ever equipment was "standard" for its day. (such as cars/motorcycles with no seat belts, blinkers, etc...)

The UK may have requirements that we don't.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »
Welcome!  Its cool to have someone find us from over the pond!  If you have trouble finding the front brake let me know as I have converted a rear brake   to work as a front.  Just have to get the rear hub assembly done up and then lace the spokes back into it after machine work is done. Search for   hub conversion   in  Other Things Simplex category.

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
Hello Eric and Welcome to the Simplex forum family .  These folks will help you get sorted out.  Enjoy the Project.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »
Welcome!  Its cool to have someone find us from over the pond!  If you have trouble finding the front brake let me know as I have converted a rear brake   to work as a front.  Just have to get the rear hub assembly done up and then lace the spokes back into it after machine work is done. Search for   hub conversion   in  Other Things Simplex category.

Tom did top notch work for my front hub!  here is the thread:   http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1082.0
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:34:31 AM »
Welcome Eric. As the front drum wheels are difficult to find here, you might consider lacing your Simplex wheel to a moped hub, in order to register for the road. This would allow you to legally ride while searching for an original, if your goal is to restore to 100% original. If your just restoring to a "rider" you're golden! The Motobecane drum hub is one that is commonly used, but many others to consider as well.

Rick C.

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
 Thank Rick it is going to be riden, I hope. I normaly ride a Scott but as I am now nearly 78 the Scott is to heavy and I thought this would be just the  thing to keep me riding a bit longer

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »
    Just found out how to put a picture on, hope it works

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
Nice bike!  There should be a number under the neck, as that is an automatic bike.  It will be a 1953 or later, as that is when the automatic came out.  Take a picture of the engine number, it will start with a M.  Also, post a close up photo or two of the clutch, so I can see if it is a single or double track clutch.
Rick

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »
   Hope this helps, where would you find the engine number  I cant see one at the moment   eric

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:05:03 AM »
     hope you got this time

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 04:53:40 AM »
Engine number will be on the bottom left side of the engine case.  I can't quite tell from the photo, but it looks like a single track clutch from the photo you posted.  Do the weights on the clutch look like mini barbells?  Rotate the clutch for a better picture of the weight, and we will know for sure.
Rick