Author Topic: simplex automatic  (Read 9043 times)

Sarge50

• View Profile
    • Email
Another Newbie - Simplex Automatic - New Mexico
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »
What up?  Found me a Simplex Automatic.....I found it in Roswell, NM with a tree growing through the frame!  The guy thought it was an old Indian frame and so did I originally till I sanded the tank exterior and the words "Simplex Automatic" appeared and having a Twin Neck gas tank I'm convinced it's an "Auto!"  No motor but two wheels, tank, frame, seat pan with single spring, rear wheel luggage rack, I think the break rod, and handle bar plate!  I have sanded the frame and repainted Black to stop the rust and had to drill a few holes in the break housing because it was frozen solid to get some lube in there!  I'm actively looking for parts and have made contact with Wayne M., and received a parts list!  I'll post pre-restoration pics and progress pics as I proceed!  Any and all advise appreciated!

(Retired)SFC Ivan L. Baros Sr.
New Mexico

PS: Thanks Richard for helping me get logged in and Mike Sal for your reply!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: simplex automatic
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
Welcome Ivan!  I'm glad we got that sorted out.

Now, what's that talk about rust?  I thought nothing rusted in the desert!

I think your biggest challenge will be to find a motor.  If you are not a purist, look around the section of Simplex's with non original motors.  There are plenty of options out there, some easier than others.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
Welcome Ivan . :)

You saved the tree , right ? ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »
welcome Sarge!  That Richard is a great guy! 

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »
Welcome Sarge. I found a Famous James that was in same condition as you described. I told a friend of mine about how it was rusted and froze up. He was an old farmer and ask if I knew how to unfreeze? I of course went through several ways I have used over the past. He replied Nope, water caused the problem and water will fix the problem. I thought he was nuts when he told me to totally submerge the bike frame in my water trough. He said leave it two weeks and pull out and see if things didn't loosen up. I would have lost a $100.00 betting it wouldn't work. It did. It began to move and I put back in until the next weekend when I came in and tried again. The handlebars moved, springer, and both wheels. At this point I blew all areas free of water and heavily oiled the areas. I know it sounds out of reach but it worked for me. You might try it and best of all ,it's cheap.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 06:30:21 AM »
Welcome Sarge & thank you for your service! There's a lot of knowledge represented in this forum which can help you in  bringing your Simplex back to service.  Rick C.

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »
 Hi  Lads while I am waiting for a reply from Wayne  can any one tell me if there are any generators about, mine is missing, I know that over 20 years ago when last owner bought it Gary Wollard told him he would be very lucky if he could ever find one.if I cant find one then it would be a easy job to make a more modern  one fit but would only have one plug lead unless I just used the points and cam and fitted a external one with twin leads powerd by a battery and use the generator to charge the battery. I have done this on quite few Villiers engines and it works well.It also means you can power the lights from the battery as well.   What do you think.    Eric

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
Wayne has the ignition coils.  They are for one lead and you just run a dummy second lead   for looks.  He also has the lighting coils.       

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
 Thanks  but I have not any of the generator at all ,the lot was missing when I bought it   eric

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
Wayne probably has all the parts for need, but they will not be cheap.
Rick