Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 4020 times)

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
Greetings
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Greetings-

I'm "Doodle Bugger" and decided to register here after lurking, unregistered, for some time.

I don't actually have a Simplex (I know, I can "fix" that problem  ;) ) but do have a collection of several other makes and "specialize" in the Doodle Bug Scooter. I have a personal preference for "factory correct," but can certainly appreciate something modernized and updated as well.

I post in several other automotive/motorcycle/engine forums and came here really as a "refugee" when the VMBC forum fizzled out as there really wasn't much place else to go. Although I'm an outsider, I'm excited to participate here and look forward to getting to know some of you.

pd

• View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
Welcome Doodle Bugger . :)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
Welcome, Refugee from VMBC website!  Lol
Rick

simplex1957

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Welcome, were you from?
Don't force it----get a bigger hammer

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
Simply put...welcome to the simpler world of simplex

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
Welcome to the group.  You'll find a great bunch of guys here, many of which have some great skills in tinkering & fabrication.

How long have you been in the VMBC?  Most (not all) of us are only recent converts & share your dismay about their lack of computer support & the magazine that is rarely different (if you cover the date up, you can't tell a 2005 issue from one that was published last month).

Besides the frame / body, is there anything unique about a doodle bug?  I've never been around one outside of the Portland meet.
Mike Sal

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
Hello and Welcome . I hope you can post a few photos of your Doodle Bug . I am afraid I dont know what it is . Perhaps have seen one but didnt know the name . Anyhows Its always good to have more input . Enjoy the forum and your ride .

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
Hi & welcome from Arizona. I found a home here and I hope you will to.
On a wing if you check my website you will find lots of Doodle Bug pictures.
http://usscootermuseum.com/
Gramps
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I'll try to cover all of the questions asked in one response...

I am located in Texas, so I'm a fair distance away from the midwest where the vintage motorbike and scooter world seems to be centered. Texas isn't a bad place to be though and is an excellent place to be in Cushman scooters are your thing (don't have any of those) as they seems to be almost everywhere.

As for the Vintage Motor Bike Club, my intention is not to come here to bad-mouth them, though looking at my last couple of posts may make it seem like that. The club "is what it is" and one can take it or leave it, as is. I've been a member for 16 years and in fact I'm still a member despite being disappointed and in disagreement with various aspects of the organization. I don't really know why I continue because I don't really get that much out of the magazine and my present location and work life (far from retired) makes getting to Portland unlikely for the foreseeable future, but I'm still a member... ???

Gramps: Good to see you here. I've spent quite a bit of time browsing your site over the years. Some of the Doodle Bug content is stuff that I sent in and some of it stuff others have sent in of photos of my scooters or items in my collection. In addition to Doodle Bug stuff, I've sent in a fair bit of the Forall Scooter stuff (now in your minibike category).  

Mike Sal: your question about what makes a Doodle Bug unique is a hard question to answer, but I'll try to be concise. It's hard...when you're passionate about something you can just about write a book about it.

-As far as I can tell, these were the first "catalog" and "department store" scooters ever offered. They were available 1946-1948 and were sold through Gambles, Western Auto, Macleods (Canadian arm of Gambles), and wholesaler Wheel Goods. They pre-dated the Sears Allstate line by several years and offerings from Montgomery Ward. Whizzers were available earlier, but they could not be purchased in a complete, ready-to-run, state from a catalog or department store, only as a kit and later (1950s, I believe) as complete units that could be purchased from bicycle shops, etc.

-They had a very unique accelerator and brake design in which BOTH the throttle and brake operated off of one control level on the handlebars. Pull in to stop, let it out to go. Basically means that the scooter could not idle without the lever being held in tightly. Looking at it now, it's easy to say "what were they thinking!" and it seems like a pretty dangerous design. Remember if you let go, the scooter would go full blast, not stop. It seems to me that maybe it should have been the other way around, but it wasn't.

-The original clutch design was very unique. It was an oil-filled centrifugal clutch they called a "fluid drive." They were made from aluminum and have a mushroom kind of look to them. The clutch is said to have been originally designed for the scooter and later adapted to other uses. The scooter was primarily manufactured by the Beam Manufacturing Company in Webster City, Iowa. Their primary business was automatic washing machines. They company eventually became Electrolux Home Products before the plant closed (just in the last couple of years) and the town lost 500+ plant jobs to Mexico. Anyway...back to the clutch. Beam was apparently having lots of vibration and dancing issues with the automatic washer. At some point, someone decided that perhaps they should adapt the fluid drive scooter clutch to it. They did, the washer ran smooth, and the clutch became the part that made mass marketing and sale of the automatic washing machine truly viable. The technology was later licensed to many other companies and variations of this clutch are still used to this day. I guess you could say we owe our clean clothes to a little motor scooter from Iowa!

Here are a few photos of one of my Doodle Bugs, taken a few years ago at the Doodle Bug Reunion. This is a 1946 Doodle Bug, model A (first production model) with the fluid clutch and Bendix accessory lighting kit. The "Western Flyer" decal on the side is rarely seen but is correct...this bike had the original side panels with those decals on it.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:04:56 AM by Doodle Bugger »

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »
This site is getting better everyday.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
I agree