Author Topic: 1940 Serviglide  (Read 14905 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: 1940 Serviglide
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2021, 02:48:37 PM »
Nice work , Tom .

Looks a lot better than my makeshift fins .
They do the job . Just don't look exactly right . LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »
PD.  That's unique!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »
PD.  That's unique!

Thanks and you're probably right , Tom .
I can't imagine anyone being as 'desperate' as I was to reach cooler temps . ;)

Someday , I'd like to install a plug base temperature gauge to see just how hot that motor gets .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2021, 11:31:07 AM »
PD.  That's unique!

Thanks and you're probably right , Tom .
I can't imagine anyone being as 'desperate' as I was to reach cooler temps . ;)

Someday , I'd like to install a plug base temperature gauge to see just how hot that motor gets .

Pete, use a no contact thermometer on the head.  I've seen as low as 280 degrees on some to as hot as 370 on some.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
Pete, use a no contact thermometer on the head.  I've seen as low as 280 degrees on some to as hot as 370 on some.

Rick ,

That seems a safe temp range . A lot of the 50cc motors run in that area . From what I understand , 400 degrees and up is a dangerous region .

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
So some updates on the Serviglide.  The brake hubs have been painted and with the rims already being re-chromed I have taken them to have the spokes installed. It's the same guy that did my green bike.  I had taken several pictures of the wheels before I took them apart.  The spoke lacing is very unique as the spokes are the same size on both side of the hub.  He was willing so I let him at 'em!

The fender holes have been repaired and re-drilled. 

And recently,  I had the pleasure to meet Bob Filip.  he is the original owners son.  Now living in Tennessee he still comes back to Michigan for family and to tend to a small farm north of here that his dad had.  He was excited to see the bike again and although it wasn't finished I offered to let him ride it when he returns next year.  His reply, "I better not...probably wreck it again!

Such as Rodney is Bob is an intellectual guy as well.  He had many interesting stories of his time at Ford motor Company.  We could have talked a long time. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2021, 05:32:24 AM »
Thanks for the update , Tom .
Hopefully , we'll see it in Portland next summer . ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
More work done on the Serviglide.  I don't know if over time things 'settled' on the frame but gradually the filler neck on the gas tank was wearing against the frame brace there.  So I welded the hole closed in the rear tank hanger and re-drilled it to slightly lift the tank a bit. 

After cleaning the frame thoroughly I noticed holes in the floor board.  Upon cleaning them out I found them to be threaded.  So I zoomed in on the brochure and noticed what looked like trim pieces garnishing each side of the floor board. I came up with the trim pieces and matched holes to the threaded holes.  Will need to decide what coating on them to use if any.

Also remade the splash guard.  It also had threaded holes on each side by the neck of the frame.  This design is my speculation of how it may have looked as the top portion of the splash guard was cracked off and missing.

I have the tank etched clean now and have purchased POR-15 to maintain a nice inner tank surface.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2021, 04:17:41 AM »
Tom ,

The upper splash guard you came up with looks like it's suppose to be , to me .

And , Por15 doesn't have a very good reputation in the motorcycle world . Maybe good for a while and then separates making a real mess in the tank . Granted , maybe it wasn't applied meticulously . But , there's been way too many bad reports for me to ever chance using it .
Caswell is likely some of the best tank sealer to be found . I don't recall ever seeing a bad review .
https://caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2021, 05:03:16 AM »
As always, excellent work!
I agree with Pete, I’ve read a bunch of bad reviews about Por tank sealer. I went with Bill Hirsch sealer on 2 bikes, seemed to work well.
I was surprised by the bad por sealer reviews, as I have used por-15 coatings on several things over the years and I find it excellent.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2021, 05:41:33 AM »
I picked up my wheels from the bike shop.  Kevin got the spokes right via the photos I took of the wheels before removing the spokes.  Kevin has been doing spokes a long time but kept commenting how 'heavy duty' the rims were.   He's a great guy that is helpful and professional.  Glad he was willing to do them.  These wheel use the same length spoke on both sides of the hub using  unique spoke holes.  So glad my choice of replacement spokes and nipples all worked out! 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2021, 08:44:25 AM »
I finished the headlight for the Serviglide.   I had the bezel re-chromed and polished all of the outside small bezels around the green jewels.   Tested with a variable voltage supply.  There are small slits in the reflector inside that are aligned with the filament of the center bulb so when it is turned on it lights up the green jewels.  The switch can be switched to 'D' for dynamo or 'B' for battery.  There is a battery mount inside.  Miller is a British company and at the time of manufacture it is believed that a person had to supply lights on their vehicle whether you were running or stopped.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
Lookin' good , Tom .
Neat idea , the reflector slits .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
If you hold the phone a little lower we could see your handsome face in the chrome ring! Lol
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »
The gas cap on the left is the original one from the serviglide.  I had it nickeled only as the ones I have seen seem to be nickeled but no chrome. 

The other cap while being a 'reasonable facsimile thereof' and is very nice I still had to send the original out to be redone!

These repro caps may still be seen on Ebay.  Search 'Harley JD oil caps'   $60