Author Topic: Roll Call: VMBC Portland, IN  (Read 6704 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Roll Call: VMBC Portland, IN
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
So, who's going?  I'll be there!  Had a great time last year, just hoping it is not as hot as it was then.
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roll Call: VMBC Portland, IN
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
I would love to, but I don't know what day is it?
Jeremy c.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
I wish I could go, but life has stacked way to many things on my plate. I'm going to try to plan it for next year God willing. Does it always take place this same time every year?  ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
I would love to, but I don't know what day is it?

Officially July 9th - 13th, but it really starts a couple of days early.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
I wish I could go, but life has stacked way to many things on my plate. I'm going to try to plan it for next year God willing. Does it always take place this same time every year?  ???

Yes, early July.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
I'll be there, but only briefly......As some of you may have heard, I lost my job a week ago.  I now have an attractive offer from another company, but they want me to start on the 9th, as they have a training seminar starting next week that I should attend.....this sucks.  

We were originally going to arrived on Sunday & Leave on Wednesday, but now we'll be going up on Saturday & coming home sunday night.  

I thought I'd have my bike together months ago, but it looks like I'll be lucky to have it together at all, but I will bring it.  Between working on the new garage and going on job interviews has stolen all of my play time.....

Jeremy, Most folks show up this weekend but the official days of the event are next week.  If you wait till next weekend to go, you'll miss everything.
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:08:50 AM »
I'll see you guys there. Bringing the servi and two minibikes. Staying in a motel Sunday night then will camp on the grounds. Probably leave fairly early Thursday morning.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »
Tom, are you camping on "Simplex Hill"?  I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express. 
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »
Always stayed at the Super 8 there in town. Staying there Sunday night then will stay at the grounds. Not sure where I will be as I have never camped there before. Don't know how it works. Except I have my camp pass I bought through the club.  My son is coming with me and it will be fun to hang out at the show all the time. Staying on the hill sounds great to me.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
I will be arriving on Monday afternoon and leaving Friday.  I will be staying with Bob Legron (on the hill) I think.  This is my first time!
Mike

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Hello from Portland, Indiana.  Spent the afternoon with Bob Kerr & Jim Lokai (Bob has 20 years experience tinkering with Simplex), as well as a couple other guys whom I've forgotten their names, on Simplex Hill at the Vintage Motor Bike Convention.  Although the meet doesn't start till Monday, there are lots & lots of people & bikes &  parts.  They had already policed up the entire fair grounds, looking for Simplex parts.  2 kick starters, a crankcase, and a cylinder jug were scooped up so far.  I've seen about a dozen Servi-cycles around for sale in various conditions and prices.  One of the guys grabbed a rolling chassis for $350.  Not likely to see another bargain like that.

It's a crying shame I have to leave tomorrow.....this is a cool place.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
I  met up with Mike Sal today at Portland.  We got a chance to meet and check out each others bikes.  It was nice to put a face to the name.  Too bad he could not stay longer. 

If anyone on here gets to Portland, let me know thru this site and we can meet up.

I will post pictures when I get home.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
I am in Portland!  I got here about 4 or so today. Checked into room then hit the show. I went ahead and left the trailer and my servi. We are across the dusty road from Simplex Hill towards the horse coral where they do barrel races. I rented a U-Haul trailer and my bike is under its cover right by our tent. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Tom, Mike and I saw your bike, but you were not around.  I will look for you tomorrow.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
Had a great time today. Rode both the 53 automatic and the 49 3 wheeler around the grounds looking for simplex parts.  Unfortunately, nothing that I wanted or desired to be found.  I met up with Tom, aka Kartjockey, and spent some time shooting the breeze and checking out each others bikes.  There are about 20 SimplexServi here, with a half dozen 3 wheel trucks.

I will take more pictures tomorrow and post them when I get home.

Mike Sal, Ernie told me he gave you some good literature, so get it posted!  LOL
Rick