Author Topic: Museum Simplex  (Read 1110 times)

BPerry2

• View Profile
Museum Simplex
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just went to a museum in Maggie Valley, NC called Wheels Through Time. It is mostly comprised of Harleys, Indians, Hendersons, Pierces, and many other early American bikes. In the back corner of the museum, in a side room waiting to be restored was a Simplex Motorbike. One of the museum tour guides was gracious enough to allow me to step inside, snap a few pictures, and even set on the bike (which was a thrill for me being able to not only get to see a complete example of a Simplex, but let me get a taste of what mine will be similar to when finished). Hope you all enjoy, and if you would like to see some early American cycles (including one of Evel Knievel's bikes) it is worth the trip.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Museum Simplex
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
I was there in April. A really great place to visit.  Dale and his son are very gracious hosts. They even took me on a tour of thier workshop.  I don't think they will ever get around to working on the simplex as they are not really into the motorbikes. I posted some more pictures in another thread hen I went, so look around for more.
Rick

BPerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Yeah, they are great people up there. The kid that took me in there to take a look at it told me I should ask Dale about buying it, so that told me they weren't too interested in it (at least at this point). I guess if I'm ever in the market to purchase another one to restore to original I'll look into it.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
I wish I had known you were going....I would have had you get the serial numbers from that bike.

I talked to Dale about a month ago when I was still trying to get my title planning in order.  He's a nice guy, but seems to always be "on the run".  I'd probably be the same way.  He used to own the harley dealership in the town next to me & he had lots of those bikes scattered around in the show room & back room.
Mike Sal