Author Topic: motor  (Read 3206 times)

flathead okie

• View Profile
motor
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
I went to the Wichita swap meet last weekend and a guy there had a whizzer motor for sale. Is it the same as a Simplex? He said it was. He's asking 450 for it. Missing the electronics, carb. and loosely put together. I do have his contact info if needed.
I'm lost............but I'm here

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: motor
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
I went to the Wichita swap meet last weekend and a guy there had a whizzer motor for sale. Is it the same as a Simplex? He said it was. He's asking 450 for it. Missing the electronics, carb. and loosely put together. I do have his contact info if needed.

Not even in the same ballpark.  A whizzer is a 4 stroke, Simplex is 2 stroke.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
This is a Whizzer motor :

This is a Simplex motor without the magneto , which goes on next to the pully :

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
That swap meet motor doesn't sound like such a good deal to me, but I'm not an expert on them.  Whizzer has their own club (whizzer motor bike owners) where you could find out more info.  This motor sounds like the left overs from another bike restoration.

I had never seen a whizzer in real life before I went to Portland last year.  There just weren't any of them around here when I was growing up.  I had always assumed they had 2 stroke motors until I actually saw one.

I wish the Simplex motors had been more reliable (read ability to take abuse) so there would have been more survivors.  I think this is why Cushman & Whizzer outnumber us by such a margin.  Those 4 stroke motors could resist teenager abuse.
Mike Sal

flathead okie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
Well that's good to know. I can loose the # then . Thanks
I'm lost............but I'm here