General Category > Simplex Registry

SimplexServi-Cycle.com Update

(1/2) > >>

admin:
  For those interested, this site was started 2 years ago by Bob Gurkin.  I just cleaned up the site and deleted all accounts that have been inactive for more than 1 year.  We started with about 5 members in the first month, and have grown to about 165 real members.

When Bob started this, he did not think we would get much action, but I think we have done a lot to help the Simplex community come together to share ideas and to help each other.  If anyone has any ideas going forward, please let me know.  

I know several people on here have tossed around the idea for a simplex T-shirt, but no one has stepped up and done it.  I am going to pick up the ball and run with this and will have shirts available by the time Portland rolls around.

On another note, who's going to the Wollard auction? 

Mike Sal:
Is Bob still around?  I've seen a posting from him in quite a while.  Did he ever sell his bike?  Yes, I think we've got a good group here. 

As far as Ideas, maybe we could use another "section" for non-specific or non-Simplex stuff.  It seems we cross pollenate a lot of our threads with different topics ("a rider" comes to mind).  This makes it hard for someone new to find that one trick or tip he might need to help his project.

Ya, I was one of those who dropped the ball on the shirts.  One of our members wanted to take on the project so I laid back.  I guess he never got the opportunity to further the project.  I still like the idea of a colored shirt w/pocket (not black) with a winged logo on the back & a small image of a servi-cycle on the breast.

I'm still on the fence about the auction.  If I can convince sonya that it's time to visit her brother again, we'll go.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal:
Rick, going thru some of the data provided by Bob Kerr, I found that 2 or 3 of his bikes were already in our database (info I got from Bill Erikson....from the old Pat Williams data base).

Also, I'm puzzled in that Bob says the highest '56 model found is #15260.  He also states that the '56 has the brake light switch bracket on the top of the rear lower bar and the '57 models moved it to the bottom.  Yet, my bike is # 15249 and the bracket is on the bottom.  The Simplex old timers at Portland thought my bike was a '57 or '58 just by looking at it quickly.  When I got the bike, the widow thought her husband said it was a '56. 

Another problem I have with Bob's list is the way he shows rounded off numbers for the model year changes.  We all now know that Simplex didn't pay any attention to what frame and what motor they grabbed to feed into the assembly line.  I find it hardly likely that the dealers actually saw neat orderly frame & motor numbers at the end of each model year.

Another neat thing is that the Wollard estate has a frame that is only one number off from a bike owned by our member "vintage".  Wollard also had a couple other frames which were only one number away from each other.

I should have the registry updated in the next day or so.  Adding all of those Wollard bikes sure bumped the size of the list (well over a hundred now).
Mike Sal

Ricks:
Just a quick note that I have renewed the site for another year. I am glad that the Simplex community has a place to hang out and share ideas.  We are now entering our 3rd year and continue to slowly grow. I wish we could get some of the old timers involved, but it just seems that they are a little computer shy!

If anyone has any suggestions for site improvement, please let me know.

Thanks to all for making this a success, and a tip of the hat to Bob Gurkin for getting this off the ground.

Mike Sal:
I was working on an update of the registry to upload today, but talked to Jim Lokai this afternoon (he's in Ohio).  I sold Jim an old honda scooter last summer but couldn't find the title.  I finally found it today & called Jim to confirm his address so I could send it to him.

Jim is working on a '36 servi-cycle & hoping to have it ready for Portland this year.  He tells me he has around 25 servi-cylcles in various forms of completeness and 4 trucks.  He is going to send me the frame & motor numbers from his stash so we can add them to the registry.
Mike Sal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version