Author Topic: Bike Registry  (Read 11187 times)

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
Bike Registry
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
I happen to be new to this forum having recently purchased a couple of Simplex machines. I haven't had an opportunity to interact much but that should be changing shortly. I will also be adding to the "registry" the engine numbers and in one case a frame number. I was told this last bike i purchased was a 1956 but from what I've seen on this forum it actually may be a later production model. The other bike I know is a 1947 because I have the original paperwork issued on October 25, 1947 and the engine number matches that paperwork. Here they are: 1947 - H14462E
1956? - Frame Number 16693, Engine Number M24048B
I'll post photos shortly.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bike Registry
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
Vince, I'd say your later bike is a 1957 model.  The numbers fall between 2 confirmed '57 bikes (as reported by Bill Erickson).  It's cool that you have the documentation on the early bike. 
Mike Sal

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the info, here are the photos of the 1957 bike. As soon as I take some of the 1947 I will post those as well.

Vince

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
here are the photos...

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
more

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »
That's a nice looking bike.  Does yours have an ignition key in the handlebar mounting plate?  Has the left side exhaust pipe been replaced?  It looks like it's missing a bend.
Mike Sal

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
Yes, the ignition key is located in the mounting plate just above the center nut. Unfortunately, the key was missing and it looks to be some sort of special key. Does anyone know if Wayne has reproduction keys or if there is any other source?

I looked at the pipe on the left side and it appears to be original to the bike. The only thing that seems to be missing on the bike is the fuel bowl and the fuel line. I should be able to get those from Wayne when he returns from vacation this week.

Vince

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Ya I was hoping he was on vacation & not something bad.  I ordered some parts from him 2 weeks ago & apparantly he didn't ship them before he left, & I've not been able to get in touch with him.

Parts stores may have sediment bowls also.  I put a small one on my model T (a 26 touring car). 

I need to order an ignition switch as well.  There a youtube video of a guy with this set up on his bike & he says the switch is a 4 position switch.  The key looked short & wide.  The previous owner just jury wired a toggle switch in the hole on my bike. 
Mike Sal

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Wayne told me just before he left for vacation that he planned to be back on the 25th. Hopefully we can get a hold of him this weekend. I need to order several items from him as well.

Vince

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
Wayne is home.  I talked with him last night.
Mike

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Thanks, I'm calling him right now.

Vince

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »
Couldn't we just have a General Category called "Registry". Once you know the serial numbers and year you could post them under this topic along with photos of your bike.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
Some people don't want to have their info out in the public.  They seem to think this could be used to steal bikes from their rightful owners.  Personally, I don't think this is much of a concern.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
I have an excel file started with the known facts of the bikes we have on this site so far.  There are still some gaps in the data (particularly the "real" names of the owners).  I'll send a copy to anyone who asks, but at some point time time (if possible), I'd like to post it on this site.  As soon as we get a few kinks out, I'll publish a little poll about it.
Mike Sal

grandpajoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »
Hi mine is 1958 Simplex Automatic Motorscooter Serial number  on   engine M23628B on frame 16929 #on cylinder 119R.  grandpajoe