Author Topic: KD headlight Rim  (Read 2783 times)

WillH

KD headlight Rim
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
Anybody know what metal, the late KD headlight rim is made of? Reason being, mine has a couple dents I would like to iron out but I don't want to ruin the plating if they are, in fact, plated. I have power buffed the heck out of the ring already and I don't see that I am wearing through plating; the metal is magnetic but some stainless is magnetic. Has anyone worked dents out of one of these?

Will

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KD headlight Rim
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I think they are a mild steel, as I have seen rusting on several, especially around the welded on mounting boss.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
With the #2220 bulb you just push in slightly and turn to the left.  Three pins.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:50 PM »
I have four rims; all have the brackets riveted on; none have any rust on the rim metal although a couple have rust on the brackets. I think I will stop where I am; the rim looks very good; dents are small and hardly noticeable.

Now I can't figure how to get the bulb off the reflector; do you just twist or is there a special way; don't want to break anything.

Will

Will, I stand corrected! I should have looked and not relied on my old memory.  I have 4 old rims, all riveted on.  Three of them have 2 rivets on each side and are magnetic.  The 4th one has one rivet on each side and is non magnetic.  This one on the inside has a section where the plating is worn away, and it looks like brass to me.  If I get a chance to clean it up, I will try to get a picture.

The mounting bosses and rivets have a lot of rust on the three magnetic ones, but not on the non magnetic one.
Rick

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
Just picked mine up from the Chrome plating company today it was magnetic so he went as far as putting the copper on it but then found out it was stainless steel so he had to buff all of the copper off -but didnt get it all off around the pop riveted bracket and to me it looked like Sh@#$t! so i just ordered a new one from Wayne...
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
What are you going to do with the old one? I've got one that has many dents I would take that messed up one off your hands.  8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
I have delved in to this a little further.

Picture 1:  Chrome plated Brass.  It was toast anyway, so I hit it on the belt sander and this is what I found.

Picture 2:  Another one that is beyond saving, so I hit it on the sander also, and it is not plate, but stainless.

Picture 3:  I tapped out the dents, sanded it with 150,220,320,600,1500, and 2000.  I polished it a little by hand, and it shined up real nice.  I need to get a wheel to do a better polishing job.  This is definitely usable.

Picture 4:  All 4 have this same rusting issue  on the mounting boss.  Any suggestions what to do about it?  I was thinking tape up the stainless and hit it with my glass beader, then sand, polish and clear it.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
I would drill out the rivets and have kartjockey make new mounting brackets out of stainless. That guy can do anything. It's not like he has anything else to do. lol

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
Knock off the rust with a cleaner then heat it up and froglube it.

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »
What is Froglube?  ???
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 05:02:01 AM »
It is a biodegradable metal lube that was made for firearms but protects any metal. Go to YouTube and look up froglube vs wd 40 they test it on a break drum. If applied to a firearm theres no need to lube it and carbon does not build up as fast. When applied properly the lube enters deep into the metal.  :D

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
All Scoot Lite parts are available from Dennis Carpenter, including lenses, rims, gaskets. www.dennis-carpenter.com/cusheagleslighting/c/5353/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:09:13 AM by rldebuse »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Why not post a link ???

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)