Author Topic: OT new toy R71 BMW w Side Car  (Read 4783 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
OT new toy R71 BMW w Side Car
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
While in Chicago for my daughter's new baby, I looked at & made a deal on a bike set up for reenacting.  I've got to scrub off the horrible camo job, but otherwise it's ready to go.  I may try to bring it to Portland if I can figure out trailer room for everything.
Mike Sal

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT new toy R71 BMW w Side Car
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
My friend has two of the military BMW "clones" with sidecars (Chinese I think?).  Very cool.  Lots of accessories like storage boxes, tools, shovel, gun mount, etc.  Not very fast but built solid and easy to work on.  Takes awhile to get used to the controls, turning and high speed cornering, but a lot of fun. You may ride it more than your Servicycle.  Are you going to mock-up a MG34 machine gun for it?  Be easy using sheetmetal and PVC pipe.  I made a M2 .50cal. for a 1942 2-1/2ton with ring mount years ago for my brothers collection.   

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
I have a MG42 (demilled.....I live in Illinois) that I could mount on it but probably won't.  This bike is a '38 model, but it may have some M72 (russian) parts on it.  I'm still sorting it all out.

Google image a 1927 BMW motorcycle & you'll be surprised to learn what probably influenced Paul Treen in his design of the Simplex.  I was sure surprised.
Mike Sal

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:20 AM »
Interesting!  Under frame gas tank, simple hoop design frame, etc...right down to the seat attachment.  I remember reading that BMW "back in the day" was in many ways a superior bike to the Harley.  Evidently Mr. Treen was aware of it.  Thanks Mike, I learned something today. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »
1927 BMW motorcycle

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:40:28 AM »
Nice Score....yeah the Camo must go.It's gonna look sweet in new Paint.
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
Sorry I've been out of touch lately....way too much going on to set still.....

Wanted to put a warning out there for everyone that uses a trailer to haul your toys around.......double check your hitch before hitting the road.....

We had a sad sad day here on Saturday.  We decided to take the BMW to a local car show.  I was going to wait to hook up the trailer until after sonya was ready to go.  She was taking longer than I was comfortable with, so decided to go ahead & hitch up.  For unknown reasons now, I got distracted & didn't latch the hitch, put the chains on, or hook up the lights.  Sonya finally came out & we hopped in the truck & away we went.......for about 5 miles.  We were within a 1/2 mile of a stop sign where I always hop out to check on the straps & stuff when I happened to look in the mirror just in time to see the trailer veer off into the ditch.  The bike summersaulted off of the trailer in a 360 degree roll.  Front end completely wrecked, side car twisted......I'm just sick about it......

Over the years I have hauled literally tons of stuff around on trailers & never had a moments issue.....until now.....

So, it appears I will only be bringing the Simplex to Portland this year.  I've got a shopping list of parts to buy that must be imported from Germany or Poland.....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
Sorry to hear Mike.  Did the trailer come through unscathed or did it get damaged also?

Like you, I always stop after a few miles and check everything, just to be safe.  I always give the rig a look see every time I stop for gas or a rest, ect.  You can never be too careful.

See you in Portland!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
The front railing of the trailer is bent out a few inches where the bike tire tried to drive thru it before launching.  The trailer didn't flip over, but "bounced" back out of the ditch & landed first on the left wheel, which bent the wheel and axle.  dunno if i can straighten them or will have to replace the axle & wheel.  At least they weren't bent bad enough to prevent me from limping the whole pile home.  A farmer was near by & he brought his tractor with an end loader over & we picked the bike up with chains & set it back down on the trailer.

If anyone has any leads on large motorcycle salvage yards here in the states, please pass them along.  The  russian urals & chinese CJ750's used some identcial parts back then & will interchange.  If I can find some parts over here, it will save a bunch on shipping (rather than from europe).
Mike Sal

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about your damage and loss. I would be sick as I imagine you are.

A tip for those of you who trailer.

Every time you make a stop after a few miles to check your equipment put your hand on the wheel hub at the wheel bearing. If it is warm CHECK your wheel bearings or you could lose a wheel an axle and more.

The best tie-downs I have found works in trucks as well as trailers and cycle lifts is a boat transom tie down. I bought mine at Walmart as they may be cheaper than boat shops would be.

The motorcycle tie downs tend to come loose and the winch type work very well but they are a bear to loosen and a finger pincher.

These have 2” wide webbing and large hooks. Just cinch it down and flip the lever. As you flip the lever it tightens a little more so you may have to make adjustments to keep the bike vertical. There is a Velcro safety strap sewn on to wrap around the lever.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Mike Sal,
So sorry to hear about your loss.
At least no one was hurt or someone else's property was damaged.
I guess it is all a matter of time that we have something go awry on us.
I'm a fanatic about making sure everything is done right when using a trailer.
That said last year I used my brothers truck and trailer to pick up a downed bike.
Sent the tongue of the trailer into the tailgate and dropped the bike in the process.
Now I'm double cautious about connections.
Again sorry.
Stafford

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune , Mike .

I have a bone yard list somewhere . I'll see if I can find it for you .

Gramps , I trailer bikes and stuff thousands of miles a year and have found ratchet tie downs to be the best .

Pete . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)