Author Topic: Western Auto Simplex for Sale  (Read 2723 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Western Auto Simplex for Sale
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
Stopped at the Peotone, IL motorcycle swapmeet on Sunday as we were coming home from Chicago.  Picked up a free issue of The Buzzzzz Rag magazine (december issue) started by the guy who started Walnecks.  On page 23 there's a good original, or older restoration example of a Western Auto Simplex for sale.  I couldn't get a good scan of the page to post here, but I'll transcribe the ad:

1958? Wizard (Simplex) Sold thru "Western Auto" stores.  Runs fine.  Original air in tires.  $5,500.  Garry 815-557-6590 (Chicago land area).

I plan to call the guy tonight to see if I can get the frame/motor numbers.  I think it's older than '58.  It's a black frame w/ that standard red (I call it lipstick red) color Simplex used in the 50's.  I can tell it has a Wico mag & looks to be a leather seat.  It also has what appears to be a chromed transmission "hoop" (I've seen them in some factory photos).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Western Auto Simplex for Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Mike,

See if you can get him to email you some pictures.

BTW, how are those gas tank mounts going?

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
Had a pleasant talk with Gary Rank tonight who is the 2nd owner of the Wizard Simplex.  He purchased it about 25 or so years ago from a guy who worked at a Western Auto store in his youth & had bought the bike right out of the display window (the decal on the side that faced the window is faded).  He is a regular at Portland, but has missed the past two years (that's why we haven't met him yet).  He said this is the only Wizard he has ever come across.  He also knows some of the old timers of the Simplex family, like Pat Williams.

Gary lives south of Chicago & is interested in selling both the Simplex and a 50's Cushman Eagle, that is also an original survivor.  He is going to send me the frame/motor numbers & some photos to post this weekend & I've invited him to check out our website.

Rick, every time I think I'm going to go out to the shop & work on my wiring for the mill, I get distracted or the weather takes a crap.  I try to get on the ball & get them done for you.
Mike Sal

hdtravlr1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi Mike

Did you buy the Western Auto Simplex?

Johnny
Tulsa