Author Topic: Pics. and Numbers  (Read 4967 times)

Stafford

• View Profile
Pics. and Numbers
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
Here are the pics. I promised. I did read on this sight we could not post enough pics. Got it on the lift and drained the gas and cleaned the glass filter.Cleaned it a little and made notes of things to work on. All in all I think it's going to be great fun.
The motor number is KO1955A but did not find a frame number. (Is there a frame number?).
Enjoy the pics.
Cheers
Stafford

pd

• View Profile
Re: Pics. and Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
That should work .

The early models did not have frame #s . I thing it was about 1950 when they started frame #s ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
Looking good.  I'm not sure about the air cleaner.  That center piece  inside the air filter looks like the top of the air filter from a simplex sportsman.  I don't think it should be in there.  All the ones I have seen have a washer inside to hold the brass wool in place.  That cover looks like it would choke the air to the motor!

Here is a picture of how the air cleaner should look.

PS: Stafford, if you keep your picture size to around 150kb in size, the pictures will fit the monitor without having to scroll back and forth.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:48:39 PM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
Rick ,

It looks like there's about 1/4" around that cover that's open . I would think that's plenty to allow more than enough air flow .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
Yes that aircleaner does look like one for a sportsman.  I'll bet he could trade if for the correct one without any trouble!

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty authentic restoration. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »
Yes that aircleaner does look like one for a sportsman.  I'll bet he could trade if for the correct one without any trouble!

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty authentic restoration. 
Mike Sal

I think he has the correct air cleaner.  I think someone just added the cover from the sportsman to it.  The sportsman air cleaner stuck straight out the back and used a base and cap style setup.  I bought the cap for a sportsman from Bill Erickson, as he had some reproductions made.  I am on the lookout for a base.
Rick

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well today was a great day; I got to ride the Simplex for the first time. Too cool.
I found a few things that were not mentioned in the ad but they would of not of been a deal killer.
There was considerable rust in the tank and a small hole where the rust has eaten it away.
I have pulled the tank and in the process of repair, may "Cream" the inside if necessary.
Had a problem with the throttle not returning completely; even with help. I have installed a return spring on the carb.
Don't know if that will be the cure ;only time will tell. I don't know if they had one originally either?
The kill switch does not work.  Had to kill it by grounding the plugs with a screwdriver. I'll get that fixed straight away.
I do have a question and if one of you could provide an answer it would be greatly appreciated.
The out side sparkplug comes unscrewed after a minute or so of running.
I replaced it and tightened three times each time being careful not to over tighten.
Question would be, am I not tightening it enough ,if so does it have a torque spec?
Has this happened to you if so how did you correct it?
I really don't want to pull down the motor and have machining done.
There was a few other loose things and things that need a little TLC but all things considered I'm stoked.
Cheers to all
Stafford

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
Stafford ,

I would NOT use Kream in the tank as I've read way more horror stories than it's worth . Caswell makes a very reputable product : http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

You might check that the throttle cable is lubed ...

If you installed a new spark plug that has the crush washer , then it's likely that you didn't tighten it enough .
Standard spark plug ( flat seat type with gasket ) torque for an aluminum cylinder head is 18.0 ~ 21.6 lb-ft. .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Congratulations on that first ride....it's always the most fun!  I also had trouble with getting the throttle to return to idle...it takes a little tweaking of the cable adjustment.

Wayne swears by another brand of tank sealer but the name escapes me at the moment.....quickpoly I think.....

I've not noticed any of my sparkplugs coming loose yet & haven't heard of anyone else with the issue.  Do the threads in the head look ok?

Lots-o-luck
Mike Sal

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
You'll feel a lot less stress and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside that only comes from giving if......you give the bike to me.

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I'll get my torque wrench out tomorrow.
As for the tank I'll check out the other products too.
Oh and Racie35 I wish I could give you a bike but I think my wife and son might send me with it.
Again Thanks and Cheers
Stafford

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
If you have some holes from the rust at the bottom, you can get a small gas tank seal repair kit at the NAPA store. It is similar to fiberglass with the epoxy. Look on line and you will many
inside gas tank sealers for sale. I seal every gas tank on my old cars and Servi before I use them.

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip Old Servi; picked up the tank repair kit you suggested from Napa. It worked as it should with great results and made for a easy repair. I also placed 3 small pieces of gasket material between the tank and base support to help isolate it and maybe avoid a rub area. Now for another question please. The toggle switch has 3 positions. I would of thought one of them was an off position but the bike runs in all three. Wiring looks complete and intact. What am I missing?
Still working on the idle thing too.
Thanks and Cheers
Stafford

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
The toggle switch could be for lights only and the middle is off and  lights and high and low on the other two positions. I killed my old Servi with throttle back to idle and kill with the compression handle bar side.

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Old Servi,
Sorry that I might be showing my ignorance but I don't follow your last instruction; "kill with the compression handle bar side"
Much thanks for your help.
Cheers
Stafford